February 20, 2018

Italian Breakfast Cookies ~ #CreativeCookieExchange

Life is short.  Eat cookie for breakfast.




Growing up I know that if I had asked for cookies for breakfast I would have received a firm no. I am here now to tell you it is totally fine to eat cookies for breakfast.  Don't believe me?  Ask the Italians - they know their breakfast cookies. And really,  if you think about it, how much worse for you can cookies be than pancakes, waffles, french toast,  and donuts? I rest my case :) 




The Creative Cookie Exchange is baking Breakfast Cookies this month. I had a couple of ideas in mind, but I ultimately chose these Italian Breakfast Cookies, not only because they sounded delicious but because, if truth be told, I am a dunker.  There I said it.  I am a person who has always liked dunking their cookies in tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc.




These cookies are really quick to put together and they last for quite some time - I kept them in a ziplock bag on my counter, and enjoyed them for over a week. They are somewhat hard, but not as hard as a biscotti.  They reminded me a little bit of a Lady Fingers (Savoiardi) but they are harder than them.  These cookies would also be great with the addition of cocoa powder, lemon, anise, orange, almond, vanilla or coconut.




If you would like to know more about #CreativeCookieExchange and see what the other bakers made for the Back to School Cookies! theme please scroll down below the recipe.


Italian Breakfast Cookies
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 egg room temperature 
  • 80g (¾ cup) sugar, plus  extra for rolling
  • 60g (¼ cup) milk, room temperature
  • 50ml (¼ cup) vegetable oil
  • 5ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla
  • 290g (2 ¼ cups + 1 tablespoon) flour
  • pinch salt
  • 10g (2 teaspoons) baking powder

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 180℃ (350℉).
  2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  3. Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
  4. In a medium bowl beat together egg and sugar until light and frothy.
  5. Add milk, oil and vanilla, beat well.
  6. Add flour mixture a little at a time and mix with a wooden spoon - do not beat.
  7. Remove to a lightly floured flat surface and knead gently until combined - dough will be slightly sticky so don't over flour it.
  8. Remove pieces of dough to form into oblong shapes approximately 6½ x 2 cm (2 ½" x ¾" in), and roll in granulated sugar and place on parchment paper lined baking sheets.
  9. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes. 
  10. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.




Remember as a kid asking if you could have cookies for breakfast? Well the Creative Cookie Exchange is giving you permission to go ahead and indulge in a cookie or two to get your day started. Whether you are looking for a cookie that can be dunked, a cookie a little more on the healthy side, or like the cookie monster you just want cookies we have you covered.

You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.

If you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made ~


2 comments:

  1. These are way better than doughnuts! They sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these cookies, I love your reasoning, and I love the cultural tie in (OMG did I love breakfast in Italy). Still bummed I did not get my cookies done in time but yours are perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.