February 18, 2016

Cinnamon Dolce Coffee Bundt Cake - #BundtBakers




Cinnamon invokes such a warm and comforting feeling. Sitting in front of the fire, drinking hot chocolate, eating a piece of Cinnamon Dolce Coffee Bundt Cake while the snow gently falls outside......well that is not going to happen here, except the eating cake part. I was still excited when I found out that the theme for this months #BundtBakers was cinnamon.
Cinnamon is such a versatile spice and I love using it in both sweet and savory recipes. My idea for this months theme was to replicate the Cinnamon Dolce Latte from Starbucks in cake form. The first step was coming up with a recipe for the cinnamon dolce syrup.  I wanted it to have a strong hint of cinnamon, and be slightly thickened so that it did not water down the glaze.  I think next time I would add a cinnamon stick and let it steep in the syrup for a few hours. The recipe for the syrup makes more than you need for the cake, so refrigerate it and enjoy saving some money by making your very own Cinnamon Dolce Lattes at home. It would also be good stirred in to some oatmeal.





Next was the cake.  I based it on a recipe I found for a coffee-cinnamon cake.  Honestly when I make this again I will leave out the Irish Cream as I felt it detracted from the flavor, and I will substitute some milk or buttermilk. It is still a great cake, and I left the ingredient listed in the recipe below, so it is up to your discretion as to whether you want to add it or not.  The kitchen always smells amazing when you are baking with cinnamon, and this bundt cake did not disappoint. It was such a relief when the cake came out of the oven and the top (which becomes the bottom when you flip the cake over) was slightly misshapen.  I know that it sounds weird that I was happy about the shape of the cake not being perfect, but guess what that means?  Yep, it had to be trimmed and I got to nibble on all of those pieces cut off to make it flat. Even without the glaze this cake was delicious, with a soft interior and combination of cinnamon and coffee in each bite. For those who are big fans of cinnamon I would suggest poking holes in the cake and drizzling some of the syrup in each one to form a ribbon of cinnamon in the cake.  Of course I had this idea after my cake was complete, but there is always next time.





If you would like to know more about #BundtBakers and see what the other bakers made for the cinnamon theme please scroll down below the recipe.


Cinnamon Dolce Coffee Bundt Cake
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
Cake ~
  • 105g sugar
  • 78g brown sugar
  • 256g butter, softened
  • 335g flour
  • 65g cornstarch
  • 10g baking powder
  • 110g ground almonds
  • 5 eggs
  • 2g cinnamon
  • 55ml Irish Cream
  • 12g cocoa powder
  • 8g instant coffee, dissolved in 1 teaspoon hot water

Cinnamon Dolce Syrup ~
  • 100g sugar
  • 70g brown sugar
  • 14g all-purpose flour
  • 5g cinnamon
  • 5ml vanilla extract
  • 215ml water

Glaze ~
  • 100g powdered sugar
  • 60ml cinnamon dolce syrup

Preparation
Cake~
  1. Preheat oven to 180℃.
  2. Coat a bundt pan with cooking spray.
  3. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter at low speed until light and fluffy - about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
  4. Add flour, cornstarch, baking powder, almonds, and eggs.
  5. Beat at a medium speed until well mixed.
  6. Divide batter into two bowls.
  7. Pour Irish Cream into one bowl of batter, add cocoa powder and instant coffee, blend well.
  8. Add cinnamon to other bowl of batter and blend well.
  9. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, alternate scoops of the cinnamon and coffee batters into the pan. Take a chopstick and create a swirl all through the batters.
  10. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 160℃ and bake another 30 minutes or until skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
  11. Cool on a wire cake rack.

Cinnamon Dolce Syrup ~
  1. While the cake is baking make the syrup by combining the sugar, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small saucepan, whisking to combine.
  2. Add the vanilla extract and water, and whisk to combine.
  3. Place saucepan over a medium heat and bring to a rolling boil, continue to boil until the mixture reaches a syrup consistency.

Glaze ~
  1. Sift powdered sugar to a medium bowl.
  2. Add cinnamon dolce syrup and whisk until well combined.
  3. Spoon glaze over top of cake.

Recipe inspired by Torta Della Figlia
For US measurements please click here





#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving Bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all of our lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest Board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. Many thanks to our host this month, Laura from Sew You Think You Can Cook for hosting this month.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers can be found on our homepage. And now it is time for you to check out all of the cinnamon-themed bundts that the #BundtBakers came up with this month ~





17 comments:

  1. Awesome cake. I really love the taste of cinnamon in coffee so in bundt sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just love a piece of that cake right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty cake. I love all of the colors, the swirls, and than icing...looks terrific!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks soooooooo good! I love coffee cake and really need to make them more often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh that looks so good! Love the use of irish cream in the cake, sounds decadent and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of this Starbucks drink and always wanted to try one and now I can in cake form. It looks delicious Felice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ribbons of cinnamon....it doesn't get much better than that! The cake looks fantastic; gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous cake!It sounds amazing, as does the cinnamon and coffee together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous looking bundt cake, Felice, and what a great idea to "copy" the dolce cinnamon coffee from Starbuck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I love Starbucks' Cinnamon Dolce Lattes, so to have it in cake form is amazing! I love how the glaze drips too - simply lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need that pan. I own 3 bundt cake pans already.

    I may have a problem.

    Terrific looking cake and I bet it smells like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never bought Cinnamon Dolce Syrup before and now I will never have to. thanks for sharing the recipe. sweet bundt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The marbling you achieve in your cake is quite impressive. And I love the thought process behind your recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my what a gorgeous bundt! I love the two-toned effect...absolutely beautiful ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.