January 20, 2014

Iced VoVos ~ #CreativeCookieExchange




I wasn't quite ready for Valentine's Day decorations in the stores the day after Christmas, however I'm definitely ready now which is perfect timing for the #CreativeCookieExchange.  The theme this month is Put On Your Red and Pink for Valentine’s Day!  I guess I took it literally since my cookie has both red and pink.

The cookie I chose to make is called an Iced VoVo.  It is a cookie (or biscuit as we call them Down Under) that is very popular in Australia, and available in most grocery stores. This cookie was first trademarked in Australia in 1906. I haven't been able to enjoy one for a while, and they seemed to fit the theme perfectly, so I decided to try my hand at making them.





This cookies is relatively easy to make, although there are a couple of steps. The dough for the cookie is quite a soft dough, so do not skip the step of chilling it for at least one hour. It was quite warm when I was rolling it out, so I had to pop it back in the fridge half-way through to cool down again. If you do not work with a cool dough you may have trouble lifting the cut out cookie onto the baking sheet. The original recipe called for pink marshmallows, but I had white and it is so easy just to tint it with a little pink food coloring. The marshmallow topping is super sticky, and if you have ever made Rice Krispy treats you will know what I am talking about. I found that the easiest way to spread the topping was to use an off-set spatula.  Once you have some of the marshmallow on the spatula, use the same motion you would to twirl spaghetti on a fork - doing this will mean you can control all of those sticky threads - then quickly run the spatula down one side of the cookie, repeating this for the other side.  I did debate using strawberry jam, mainly for the color, but once I tasted the cookie I knew that raspberry was the perfect foil for the sweetness of the marshmallow because it has a hint of tartness. This recipe makes approximately 24 cookies, but I made less because I used a larger cookie cutter rather than a pastry wheel because I needed to move quickly in the heat.







Iced VoVos
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
Cookies ~
  • 2 oz butter, chopped, at room temperature
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • ⅔ cup plain flour
  • ⅔ cup self-rising flour
Topping ~
  • 3½ oz marshmallows
  • pink food dye
  • 1 oz butter
  • ¼ cup icing sugar, sifted
  • ½ cup desiccated coconut
  • ⅓ cup raspberry jam, warmed
Preparation
Cookies ~
  1. Preheat oven 350℉. 
  2. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
  3. Sift flours together, and set aside.
  4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
  5. Add egg and beat to combine.
  6. Turn mixer to low and add flour, gently combine.
  7. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly until smooth. 
  8. Wrap in plastic wrap, chill for 1 hour.
  9. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper until ¼-inch thick. 
  10. Using a fluted pastry wheel, cut dough into 24 rectangles 1.5-inches x 2-inches. 
  11. Arrange on trays 1-inch apart. 
  12. Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden. 
  13. Cool on trays for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Topping ~ 
  1. In a small saucepan combine marshmallows and butter, and stir over a low heat until melted and smooth. 
  2. Mix in icing sugar and a drop of the pink food dye.
  3. Spread coconut on flat plate, and working quickly, spread a little icing along both sides of biscuit, leaving centre strip bare. 
  4. Dip in coconut, shaking off excess.
  5. Spread warmed jam down centre strip; Repeat with remaining biscuits. 
  6. Allow to set and store in airtight container.

Recipe from Woman's Day magazine (Australia)











The theme this month is Put On Your Red and Pink for Valentine’s Day! Creative Cookie Exchange has decided to stop using the linky. What this means is that the only way to join in the fun is to become a host. Just contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and I will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.

You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes - be sure to check out our Facebook page, our Pinterest Board, and our monthly posts. You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration for Valentine’s Day, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made so far ~

7 comments:

  1. Not that we lived in Australia for long, but somehow I missed the iced VoVos! Looks like a wonderful cookie, Felice! I just looked it up and it seems the raspberry is traditional. Yours look so much better than the store bought ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty! I love learning the background to cookies and recipes, thanks for sharing this cookie. I've never heard of it and now need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty, never heard of a Vovo before. I could gobble down a bunch of those for sure. Happy Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooo pretty, Felice. You know there is something special about a cookie if the recipe has survived since 1906!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cookies are so pretty in pink, Felice! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so delicious! I have never heard of them and thought they were a typo. Was I wrong! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so gorgeous-I am in awe of your patience for creating cookies like these!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.