July 09, 2011

Tropical White Sangria



Sangria is a fruit-based wine punch predominately from Spain and Portugal, and it is just the thing on a hot summer's day.  Not only is it very refreshing but there are so many different ways to make it.  Both white and red versions are very popular.

We decided to go with a white version, or sangria blanca, for our July 4th celebration.  We love sangria because it is not too heavy and you can adapt it to any fruit you may have on hand. You can also add as much, or as little alcohol as you want, and you can vary the soda to make a completely different taste.  We used seltzer water but you could also try club soda, lemon-lime soda, ginger ale, a flavored mineral water, or even an orange-based soda.  Like I said, the possibilities are endless.

After mixing up the basics we placed it in the refrigerator overnight.  You can serve it straight away over ice, but I prefer to let the flavors muddle a little.  Once we were ready to serve we added the additional fruit and the soda.





Tropical White Sangria

Ingredients
  • 1 x 1.5 liter bottle of white wine - I used a moscato 
  • ½ cup white sugar, dissolved in a little hot water
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup pineapple
  • 3 oranges, sliced  
  • 2 lemons, sliced into wedges
  • 2 limes, sliced into wedges
  • 10 strawberries, cut in half
  • 6 lychee, peeled, seeded, and cut in half
  • 3 x 355 ml cans club soda or spritzer water

Preparation
  1. Pour wine in the pitcher.
  2. Lightly squeeze the juice from the lemon and lime wedges by hand into the pitcher.
  3. Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and orange slices and add sugar.
  4. Add the orange juice and pineapple juice - stir.
  5. Chill overnight.
  6. Add strawberries and lychee.
  7. Add club soda or seltzer just before serving. 
  8. If you'd like to serve right away, use chilled white wine and serve over lots of ice.  
  9. Addition ideas - peaches, handful of fresh blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, a shot of cointreau, brandy or rum, a cup of citrus-flavored soda.

Recipe adapted from a sangria recipe on About.com

33 comments:

  1. Nice refeshing drink here. I have been up in the hot attic, so I sure wish I had one of these. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so yummy and refreshing. I love the addition of the Lychees :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love white sangria...and you can try also adding apple. It's perfect for Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to switch peaches for the lychee but this sounds so fruity and delicious. I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore Sangria!! My friend makes a recipe from her mom for me every summer, hers in with red wine and little pieces of square apples (I love the drunken fruit!). I've never tried a white version though, and I'm really eager to try!! Love the pineapple too. But best of all I love how you describe it as wine punch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect recipe for summer,
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks beautifully refreshing Felice! I'd love a glass of it right now (not just to convince myself that it is nice and warm ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the drink and also the glass it is in :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my Sangria is definitely my favorite! I love how you used moscato wine! its one of my new favorites

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried the white version but I'm so tempted now. It sounds much lighter and less headachey!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sangria! This looks so delicious and perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love that you added in Lychee's Felice. By the color I was going to guess there was mango juice in there too. Sounds like a refreshing drink to beat the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh! Sounds delicious! Love that use of moscato instead of the white wine :) Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bravo! I don't think I've had one with these type of ingredients. Certainly makes me want to though!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made sangria for the holiday too! :) I made a rose version but I love how light and fresh yours sounds. I also had never thought of adding lychee - very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe I've never tried white sangria. I have several bottles of white wine waiting for me at home and I am going to try this tonight! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We just made a red Sangria this weekend (post soon!) and we decided to try a white version next weekend, so good timing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's time I tried my hand at making Sangria. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haven't had sangria in donkeys but it's time for a revival, especially with such a lovely looking recipe. Love the idea with sweet moscato wine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how simple, beautiful, and tasty sangria is. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love sangria! Sounds perfect on a hot summer day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. sangria is one of my summer favorites, but so have i have only made it with red wine -can't to try the sangria blanca!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Lindsey@Lindselicious No mango juice because I am allergic, but it would make a great addition as would some passionfruit nectar. That is what I love about sangria - you can add just about any combination you like.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I could definitely have one of those about now. I've never made white sangria before. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is my all time favorite summer drink :) Yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Althgough we don't take wine, the pictures looks gorgeous. Following your beautiful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loovvvveee love love Sangria!! This looks so good and refreshing. I haven't made white sangria before but I can't wait to try this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum!! Want this after my day today! So refreshing and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the orange and strawberry with this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. lychees in sangria is genius! can't wait to try this in the summer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.