July 04, 2011

Red, White & Blue Waffles



Happy 4th of July!  Hope you all have a wonderful day that includes family, friends, fun, fireworks and lots of yummy food.

We decided to start our morning off with some patriotic red, white and blue waffles.  It was a little bit of a mad rush because I also needed to get the baked beans into the slow cooker (recipe to come a little later). In a very short amount of time I managed to use a good number of bowls, measuring spoons, pots, and utensils.  Usually I try to clean as I go but that wasn't an option this morning.  Luckily for me a magic genie appeared and washed up everything for me.  Well, really it was my wonderful husband, but it was magical.  In between doing this he also whipped up a White Sangria (another recipe to follow soon), and had it in the fridge to chill.

These waffles were inspired by ones that appeared on Kita's blog, Pass the Sushi.  Her post made me laugh because it was entitled "Blueberry Sour Cream Waffles for When Gerard Butler Visits".  The waffles sounded amazing, and who doesn't want an amazing recipe when someone like Gerard visits?  I mean you have to be ready don't you?

My refrigerator contained a plethora of berries - blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries - but I decided to use blueberries and raspberries for my waffles.  I used only all-purpose flour, mainly because I did not have any whole wheat pastry flour, and I added some cinnamon to the mix.  A little dusting of powered sugar gave them the red, white, and blue look.  I do agree with Kita that a dollop of cream, or even sour cream, would make an excellent addition but these were gobbled up too quickly to do so today. All that accompanied them was some maple syrup.

I wanted to pass on a tip for transferring the batter to the waffle maker.  I have always used the little cup that came with the waffle maker.  It holds about one cup, but it is always difficult to get all of the batter out of it.  Previously I have resorted to using a mini spatula to scrape the sides as I pour the batter into the waffle maker.  This morning I decided to grab my largest ice cream scoop and measure how many scoops equaled the amount of batter in the cup.  It worked out to two full scoops.  I cannot tell you how much easier it is to use an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter, and the built in scraper means that all of the batter is transferred with a squeeze of the handle.






Red, White, & Blue Waffles
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
  • ¾ cup blueberries
  • ¾ cup raspberries
Preparation
  1. Preheat your waffle iron on medium-high heat.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk and sour cream, and then whisk in the eggs. 
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir just until combined. 
  5. Fold in the butter, and then the blueberries and raspberries, stirring minimally.
  6. Pour 1/4 cup of batter per waffle onto the iron and cook until the waffles are a light golden brown. Keep cooked waffles warm on a platter in the oven.
  7. Serve waffles with a dusting of powdered sugar and maple syrup (a dollop of whipped cream or sour cream would be great too). 
  8. Makes approximately 6 waffles.
Recipe adapted from Pass the Sushi.

14 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. It's so great having a hubby who does the dishes. Happy 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fantastic! I love waffles so this will be tried soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite at any time of day or year! They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very festive and incredibly patriotic :) I saw those same waffles over at Pass the Sushi. Yours look just as yummy! Buzzed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful breakfast! And wonderful tip for transferring the batter...it can be quite messy; I need all the help I can get :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so gorgeous!! What a delicious festive treat for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How patriotic! ... and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your waffles look delicious! Hope you had a wonderful long weekend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 4th of July to you and your family Felice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always seem to make a mess in the kitchen because cleaning up as I go falls apart. What an awesome husband you have to take care of the dishes :) These waffles look delicious! And worth the mess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How funny I had my eye on these myself. I'm sorry about the links shipping I didn't check that. I did find a better one at Amazon and changed it. Maybe it's where you are located, that's not fair. I'd prefer living in paridise though. Hope you have a great weeekend.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.