July 20, 2017

Classic Vanilla Flan Bundt ~ #BundtBakers

So, we all know that bundt pans are great for making cakes, but have you ever wondered
 what else you could make in a bundt pan?




It turns out that a bundt pan is so much more versatile than you would think, so for this month's #BundtBakers we were challenged to make an Untraditional Bundt. I like it when I have to think outside the bundt.





After thinking about a few different ideas I settled on the idea of making a flan, with a little trepidation since I knew it may be a little risky to get it out of a metal pan. The recipe itself could not be easier since all of the custard is mixed in a blender and the sugar is simply put in a saucepan to melt - easy peasy. Do make sure that you keep an eye on the sugar as it melts since it can quickly go from a beautiful golden brown to a black mess that has to be thrown away.  My tip is to let it just get to a light golden brown for this recipe as it will continue to cook even after you have taken it off the heat and poured it into the bundt pan.  Also, I found it much easier to use a silicone pastry brush and to work quickly to spread the caramel of the sides and tube of the bundt pan, but a spoon will work too. This caramel hardens quickly so make sure you don't get distracted in the middle of getting it in the bundt pan..





My flan took about ten minutes more than the recipe suggested to be cooked.  It still had a little bit of a jiggle to it, but since the knife came out clean it seemed ready to come out of the oven to me. To make sure it was really set I left it overnight in the fridge, much to my family's disappointment.  Of course I picked the heaviest cake stand I had to invert the flan on to.  At first I did not think it was going to come out, so I quickly flipped it back over and placed it in my sink with a little warm water.  Doing this helped soften the caramel, and my second attempt at inverting it onto the stand was successful.  And oh my goodness was it ever good. The creaminess of the custard and the dark, rich caramel paired beautifully together.  I just couldn't believe how easy it was to make. And don't freak out when you see your bundt pan after the flan comes out - it is not ruined.  All you need to do is to give it a quick rinse and then pour some boiling water into it and let it sit.  Keep doing this until the caramel is dissolved.  I actually found that after two or three rounds of hot water I could use a spoon and just lift the caramel out of each crevice.







If you would like to know more about #BundtBakers and see what the other bakers made for our Untraditional Bundts theme please scroll down below the recipe.


Classic Vanilla Flan Bundt
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
  • 5 extra-large eggs
  • 396ml (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 354ml (12 oz) can evaporated milk
  • 354 ml (12 oz) whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
  • 250g (1¼ cups) sugar
  • enough hot water to fill roasting pan 2 inches high

Preparation
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180℃ (350℉).
  2. Place eggs in the blender and whip for about 15 seconds.
  3. Add the sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk to the blender, then use empty can of evaporated milk to measure whole milk.
  4. Add the whole milk to the blender and whip for 30 seconds; set aside.
  5. Place sugar in a dry saucepan and cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, if the sugar begins to clump up break it up with a wooden spoon, continue to cook sugar until it liquefies and turns a light caramel color (don’t go too dark or it will get a burnt flavor).
  6. Pour the caramel into a Bundt pan.
  7. Using a wooden spoon, spread caramel halfway up the side of the pan including the tube.
  8. Place coated Bundt pan into roasting pan.
  9. Pour custard mixture into Bundt pan.
  10. Place roasting pan with Bundt pan into pre-heated oven, then pour hot water into roasting pan, about 5cm (2-inches) high.
  11. Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
  12. After removing from the oven allow to cool for 15 minutes, then using a thin knife, separate top edge of flan from the pan.
  13. After flan has cooled tilt pan back and forth until you can see the caramel oozing up the sides of the pan.
  14. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
  15. Place the inverted platter on top of the Bundt pan, and holding the platter tight against the Bundt pan, flip the pan over being careful not to lose the liquid caramel. 



BundtBakers



#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. This month's theme is Untraditional Bundts and our host this month is Colleen from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice - mahalo Colleen!

You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about #BundtBakers, can be found on our home page

And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month ~




8 comments:

  1. Fabulous idea, Felice! Your flan turned out perfectly. It's so much prettier than flan made in a regular dish. I am definitely trying this next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavenly! Now this totally makes me want to try flan for the first time! I'm very happy that it came out of the Bundt pan for you too...that could have been tricky! Thanks for joining this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Felice! I love flans and putting it in a bundt is nothing short of genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got my attention right away from your pictures. Your recipe made me salivate and I'm actually inclined to make it for a special occasion. ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many times the simplest is the best. regards

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty and having just a 'moderate" portion would be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA! And definitely brave. I love flan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting ready to unmold the finished ๐Ÿฎ flan! Looks and smells wonderful! Wish me luck, I’m going to use the warm h20 method. I don’t expect the flan to last more than a day or two, if it’s as good as it looks! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.