September 04, 2013

Peanut Butter Pretzel Chubby Tates





Heaven help me if there is an open container of peanut butter filled pretzels in my household. They sing like a siren beckoning me to them and I am just not able to resist their sweet-salty deliciousness.  I don't buy them all that often, but when I do it is usually because one of my girls has been shopping with me and somehow they end up in my cart. The safest thing is not to have them around for too long so they are bagged as snacks for school, taken to the movies (shhhh!), and in this case used in baking cookies.

One of my favorite cookie recipes is the Chubby Tates from Tate's Bake Shop - Baking for Friends.  I decided to add one of my favorite snacks to one of my favorite cookies, and the Peanut Butter Pretzel Chubby Tates were born.  In the cookbook, the author Kathleen King suggests that you eat them while they are still warm and I would definitely second this.  One bite of the a warm cookie fills your mouth with crumbly cookie, melted chocolate, and gooey peanut butter and sends your taste buds into another universe.  Add an ice-cold glass of milk and I am set.  Another option would be to sandwich these cookies around some ice cream.  Flavors such as vanilla, peanut butter, chocolate, or banana come to mind and all would be excellent choices.

































These cookies freeze very well, and with the holiday season fast approaching I think I just may bake another batch and do just that.  I discovered that if I scoop them out onto a cookie sheet and freeze them individually and then store them in a plastic freezer bag - rather than placing the the whole dough in the freezer - I will be able to grab as many as I want to bake quickly if friends drop by.


Peanut Butter Pretzel Chubby Tates

Ingredients
  • 2¼ cups all-purpose flour or bread flour 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) salted butter, at room temperature 
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed 
  • ½ cup granulated sugar 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 cup peanut butter filled pretzels

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 325℉. Line two sheet pans with Silpat liners or parchment paper. 
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt, set aside. 
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter, brown sugar and sugar and mix on high until combined, about 1 minute. 
  4. Beat in the vanilla, egg yolk and egg. Scrape down bowl and turn the mixer to low speed. 
  5. Add the flour mixture and mix till just combined.
  6. Mix in the chocolate chips and the pretzels, and turn the mixer up to high for about 30 seconds to break up the pretzels.
  7. Using an ice cream scoop or two tablespoons, drop cookie dough onto prepared sheet pans 3 inches apart. 
  8. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown.
  9. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  10. Repeat with the remaining dough on cool baking sheets.

Recipe slightly adapted from Tate's Bake Shop Baking for Friends.



2 comments:

  1. That's another thing we don't have here, peanut butter pretzels. But you cookies do look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have access to a Costco you may find them there. I have found that many of the items sold in the US Costco's are also available in the ones in Sydney.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.