May 13, 2013

Razzleberry Crumb Bars





How fun is the name razzleberry?  Recently, I saw a jar of razzleberry jam sitting on the shelf at my local grocery store.  Having never heard of it before I couldn't resist purchasing it just so I could taste it.  A single berry known as a razzleberry doesn't actually exist, it is just a name that was given to the combination of raspberries and blackberries used in a pie - or in my case, Razzleberry Crumbs Bars.  It was funny that when I was searching online I did find that there are two berries that are an actual cross between a red raspberry and a blackberry- the Tay berry and the loganberry, but they were not given the cool name of razzleberry.

After searching for a good crumb bar recipe, I decided that I would use my newly purchased jam, and a mix of fresh raspberries and blackberries.  I used a blueberry crumb bar recipe that I found on My Baking Addiction (love this blog!) as a basis for my bars, and then made the necessary changes so that I could incorporate the two berries.  I decided to add some almond meal to my base, but I did not want it in the crumb topping too.  To divide the base and the topping I mixed the flour, sugars, salt and baking powder and added the butter to make a crumb mixture and then took out half of the crumbs mixture, reserving it so I could sprinkle it over the berries. Almond meal was then added to the remaining mix in the food processor, along with the other half-cup of flour.  This did make my base a lot wetter than the original recipe, but it wasn't a problem.




Raspberries and blackberries really are a match made in heaven, and these bars were a huge hit with my family.  The crispy shortbread-like base, sweet and sticky jam, tart-sweet berries, and a crumbly topping all combined to make an incredible bite.  These are fantastic on their own but could easily go over the top with a little vanilla ice cream, or some whipped cream to accompany them.  I tried very hard not to nibble on the edges because it was nearly dinner time, but it was hard to stop myself. After dinner all bets are off.






Razzleberry Crumb Bars
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
  • ½ cup white granulated sugar
  • ½ brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • ¾ cups almond meal
  • 1 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup razzleberry jam (use raspberry if unable to find razzleberry)
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons cornstarch
  • powdered sugar for sprinkling

Preparation
  1. Preheat the oven to 375℉. 
  2. Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. 
  3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla together until combined. 
  4. In the bowl of a food processor add ½ cup white sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, 2½ cups flour, salt, and baking powder; pulse to blend. 
  5. Add cold butter; pulse until small crumbs appear. 
  6. Remove half of the crumbs and set aside. 
  7. Add almond meal, remaining ½ cup of flour, and egg/vanilla mixture to the food processor; pulse until mix comes together. 
  8. Press the almond meal-flour mixture evenly into the bottom of prepared pan. 
  9. Using an off-set spatula spread the jam over the base. 
  10. In another bowl, stir together the ½ cup of sugar and cornstarch and gently mix in the berries. 
  11. Spoon the berry mixture evenly over the crust. 
  12. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the berry layer. 
  13. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. 
  14. Cool completely, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and cut into squares.


Recipe by All That's Left Are The Crumbs©





10 comments:

  1. Yum!! I love crumb bars! :-) Especially ones with fruit

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks seriously Yum...oozy crumbly razzelberryness!
    My Cupcake Habit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum... those bars look delicious! I love anything with crumble (actually, I spotted the original recipe over at Sally's Baking Addiction and have been wanting to make it for ages) and the combination of the raspberries and blackberries looks divine! I actually hadn't heard of the term 'razzleberry' before, but... I love it. I want to make a razzleberry jam myself now! Thanks for sharing your version of this gorgeous treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basis for this recipe came from My Baking Addiction, and then I adapted it with different berries and ingredients. I went to Sally's Baking Addiction to see the original recipe that you mention but could not see anything that resembled my recipe.

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking bars. I can imagine the taste with all the berries in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nom nom! These look so good and I love the name too! Not sure if you can get razzleberry jam in the UK...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell you the truth I didn't even know you could get razzleberry jam here. You could easily sub raspberry or blackberry jam, or even omit it because the mixture of berries will definitely make up for it.

      Delete
  6. I really love the name razzleberry! Love berry crumb bars too, your bars look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.