June 23, 2011

To Try Tuesday - Fresh Blueberry Cake



Sometimes you just need a quick and easy cake.  Sometimes that cake will involve a box mix.  Sometimes it will turn out so delicious you will vow to make it again and again.  These three sentences pretty much sum up this cake.

I am not sure how I ended up with three Costco-size punnets of blueberries.  You could say that it was bad planning on my behalf, but I like to think of it as good planning because I decided to make a cake with the extra blueberries.  I didn't really have a recipe in mind but I knew that I had a few boxes of cake mix so I decided to look for a recipe that would "doctor" it up.  As soon as I saw this recipe for an Easy Fresh Blueberry Cake on About.com I knew that it was the one for me.




At first the suggestion on the site of using a lemon cake mix appealed to me but I only had a box of white cake mix, and I decided that I prefer the taste of real lemons.  I love lemon and blueberry together so I did add some extra zest and juice.

This baked up so well in a bundt pan and was delicious both warm from the oven, and after it has cooled.  I think that little mini bundts would be great too.















This post is also linked to Torview's Purple Food Series Palette. 



Fresh Blueberry Cake
Ingredients
  • 3 large eggs
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • ⅓ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Juice and finely grated zest of 2 lemons (about 1/4 cup juice)
  • 1 box (18.25 ounces) yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix (I used white)
  • 2 cups fresh cleaned blueberries

Preparation
  1. Grease and flour a 10 to 12-cup Bundt cake pan or 10-inch tube pan. 
  2. Heat oven to 325°F for a dark pan or 350F° for a light-colored pan.
  3. Beat eggs with sugar until light. 
  4. Beat in the oil, sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Continue beating until smooth. 
  5. Slowly blend in the cake mix then beat until well blended. 
  6. Fold in the blueberries. 
  7. Spoon into the prepared baking pan; smooth the top. 
  8. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
  9. Dust with powdered sugar or serve with a vanilla glaze or lemon sauce, if desired.
Recipe by Diana Rattray, About.com Guide

16 comments:

  1. thank you for linking this delicious looking cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect use for extra blueberries! Delish! And cake recipes using boxed mixes always seem to be moist...unlike some of my homemade ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny I thought I commented and buzzed this before?? Anyhow I like bundt cakes and the fact that this has blueberries in it makes it even better. Thanks for sharing-buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful coffee companion! I love all those blueberry dots. I must bookmark it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at all those blueberries! Love spicing up a box cake mix! You always know it will turn out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom is a bundt cake queen, I have to pass this on to her she would love it! She can add this into her rotation as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm that sounds delicious!! I love the fresh blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this looks amazing and is perfect for summer blueberries. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my dear. This does look just about perfect! I love seeing all those fresh blueberries. Too pretty! Thank you for sharing your creativity and love with me. I am leaving with such a wide smile on my face. I hope you are having a joy-filled weekend. Much love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love blueberry cake. I normally make it is a rectangle cake pan but I love your shape. Makes it just a bit more fancy. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Semi-homemade recipes are great! And box mixes do sometimes need a little help, don't they....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm blueberry cake is right up there with banana bread for me.
    I have seen a lot of recipes using cake mix lately and am not sure what the dealio is. I get it every now and then but I like making it more often then not from scratch. I like that you added the zest and lemon to bump up the flavor! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.