June 20, 2011

The Cake Slice June 2011 (Part 1) - Fresh Strawberry Cake with White Chocolate Chips



The 20th of the month has arrived and that means that it is Cake Slice Bakers time again.  For the first time ever there was a tie in the voting.  Everyone in the group was given the choice to bake either of the cakes, or both.  Naturally I choose to make both cakes, because the more the merrier!  They are both very different cakes so I thought it would be fun to be able to do some comparisons between them.  Before starting I immediately had in mind the one that I would prefer but only time would tell if I was right.

We are continuing to bake from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman.  The first cake is a Fresh Strawberry Cake with White Chocolate Chips.  I admit that I may not have made this cake had it not been one of our choices.  It just seemed so sweet with the strawberries and the white chocolate chips.  However, that is what I love about being part of this group, it makes you try things that you may have otherwise overlooked.


This is another snacking cake and it is very easy to put together.  My daughter had some friends sleep over so they were quite anxious for it to come out of the oven.  I managed to let it cool for the required five minutes and then I got it straight onto the cake plate for some photos.  It probably was not the best idea to photograph a hot cake, especially when I tried to slice it, but the girls were hovering and looking at me with pleading eyes.  I sliced the end off and cut it into pieces for them which bought me a little more photo time, but not long.  Within 15 minutes half of the cake was already gone so they certainly enjoyed it.  Mr. ATLATC headed out to a bike path clean up and took the remaining cake with him to be enjoyed after their hard work.  He said that it didn't last long at all.





I felt a little different about it.  I'm not saying that I didn't like it but I would certainly make a few changes before making it again.  It was extremely sweet so I would cut down the amount of sugar and white chocolate chips.  Part of the cake may look a little undercooked in the photos but this is just the warm melted chocolate chips.  Also, my strawberries were quite large so I sliced them and then cut them in half.  In future I think I would chop them a little bit smaller because I thought the pieces were still a little bit too big. 


I am looking forward to seeing everyone's reaction to both of these cakes.  Click here to see a list of all of the members blogs.

Please check back tomorrow for Part 2 of The Cake Slice and to see which cake was also chosen for this months' baking adventure.
 


 

Fresh Strawberry Cake with White Chocolate Chips
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 8 ounces strawberries, stemmed and sliced
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips or chunks
 

Preparation
  1. Heat the oven to 350°F. 
  2. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan and dust it with flour, knocking out the excess.
  3. Combine the egg, egg yolk, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla in a large measuring jug and beat lightly.
  4. Combined 1¼ cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
  5. Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric whisk on medium high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides when necessary.
  6. With the mixer on medium low speed, pour the egg mixture into the bowl in a slow stream, stopping the mixer once or twice to scrape down the bowl.
  7. Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, ½ cup at a time. After the last addition mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
  8. Combine the strawberries and remaining ¼ cup flour in a medium bowl and toss to coat. 
  9. Fold the flour covered berries along with the chocolate chips into the batter using a spatula.
  10. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. 
  11. Bake the cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. 
  12. Let the cake cool ion the pan for about 5 minutes, invert it onto a wire rack and then turn it right side up to cool completely.
  13. Cut into squares and serve.

Makes one 8 inch square cake.

Recipe from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman

36 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering just looking at these photos! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting you would make the strawberry pieces smaller, I felt my strawberries got lost a bit into a gloop so I had actually been thinking of leaving larger chunks if I did it again. I, too, would reduce the sugar or chocolate. Or maybe I would try dark chocolate instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering the hungry hoardes you took lots of lovely photos! I agree about the sweetness but I actually think that the larger pieces of strawberries make the cake look really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything with white chocolate chips, but strawberry too? This is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this time of year when fresh berries are plentiful and you don't have to feel guilty about baking with them. I will have to admitt though that most of the time I eat them all before I have a chance to use them in a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake looks beautiful! Love the mix of strawberries and white chocolate. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure I would've had the first and last slice of this cake. It looks fantastic and I adore white chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake looks delicious! I love the white chocolate chips in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any cake that's kid approved has to be delicious! I think this looks wonderful and I love white chocolate. I might cut back on the sugar (thanks for the advice on that), but not the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh...white chocolate. What an excellent addition. I should have thought of that. lol. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmm....for being rushed, you sure got some delicious looking photos! I love the combination of white chocolate and strawberries...no wonder it disappeared so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! You have done such a beautiful job, I want to eat them. I love white chocolate, I love strawberries, I love your cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh!! Lovely pics! Yup, this cake sure disappear fast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was looking at recipe for strawberry cake the other day. Ended up settling on a coconut milk and strawberry cake but mine did not turn out that great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job! Another perfect cake by the TCS bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious! I love strawberries with white chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think strawberries go well with all types of chocolate myself but I may be a bit biased.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked this cake. I didn't think it was too sweet but it definitely didn't need any ice cream or whipped cream to go with it either. Very moist too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We loved this one too, minus the choc chips and I subbed out the fruit. Next time I was thinking to cut the sugar to 3/4 cup too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Strawberries and white chocolate? Now that's my kind of recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks great! I love white chocolate and strawberries together! We're hosting an online seasonal potluck and June is strawberry month! If you'd like to link your recipe, we'd love to have you! http://bit.ly/eLlgG2

    ReplyDelete
  22. White Chocolate and Strawberries??? How can you go wrong!! Congrats on the well deserved Top 9!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This cake sounds delicious! THe inside of it is lovely with the brightly colored berries throughout the pale cake! The white chocolate sounds like the perfect companion for the berries as well! Congrats on the Top 9! Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks delicious, and I think If I made it I would cut down the sugar too, thanks for recommending that! I'm sure the proof of how good it was, was how fast the girls devoured it!
    Congrats on the top 9 today!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just made a strawberry cake this weekend too. I wonder if you can have too many strawberry cake recipes

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cannot wait to try this TODAY! I love strawberry cake! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmmh, white chocolate and strawberries! What a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on the top nine-cool that it was something from the cake slice bakers also. Simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'd agree with Please Do Not Feed the Animals to take out the white chocolate and replace with dark. I am not a fan of white chocolate because I find it too sweet. That might be the reason why you found it too sweet? Looking forward to making this. Congrats on top 9!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks absolutely delicious!! The 2 ingredients I love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a wonderful cake. Congrats on Top 9 - this is so deserving!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this time of the year, so many fresh fruit at the farmers market. So many sweet treats to bake!
    The cake looks amazing, what a great combo : strawberries and white chocolate!
    Thanks for sharing Felice!

    ReplyDelete
  33. We just went berry-picking the other day and I've promised my kids a strawberry cake...this might be it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on being in the top 9! It was well deserved!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.