June 15, 2011

To Try Tuesday - Blueberry Zucchini Bread




Here it is To Try Tuesday and I feel a little behind the eight ball.  I had actually made a few things in advance knowing that I was heading to the Big Island to see my husband compete in a Half-Ironman triathlon, but I seem to have been playing catch up ever since and my blog has suffered which has made me a little sad.



The good news is that my husbands hard work paid off and he was first in his age group (and 12th overall!) and earned a spot to the Ford Ironman World Championships in Kailua-Kona this October.  The girls and I were really glad to be there to cheer him on to his win and take lots (I mean lots) of photos. I always love spending time on the Big Island, and this course is just beautiful, but it is even sweeter with his victory.




OK, back to your regularly scheduled post.  I was recently searching for a recipe for a blueberry quick bread when I came across this recipe by Jamie at My Baking Addiction.   Once you visit her blog you will have a baking addiction too.  Her recipes are amazing, her photos are stunning, and she has very cool giveaways.  A few of her recent posts include Key Lime Pie Ice Cream, Cherry Crisp in Jars, and Heath Bar Cupcakes.  Let me just say that 13,379 (and counting) people on her Facebook page can't be wrong.  If you haven't guessed already I do have a blogging crush on her blog. Where is that little embarrassed smiley when you need it?




Anyway, this quick bread was a big hit with my husband's Saturday training group.  They loved the fact that it had blueberries and zucchini, and a bit of whole wheat flour in it, so it didn't totally negate all of the hard work they had put in training before consuming it. I did sneak a piece the night before and I totally agree that this is a very tasty bread.  It will definitely be a repeater in my household.






Blueberry Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • ¾ cup all purpose flour
  • ¾ cup whole wheat flour
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries 
  • 2 tablespoons of coarse sugar

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Lightly grease an 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan.
  3. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugars.
  4. Fold in the zucchini.
  5. Beat in the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
  6. Gently fold in the blueberries.
  7. Transfer to the prepared loaf pan. 
  8. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
  9. Bake 55-65 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
  10. Cool 20 minutes in pan, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
Recipe by Jamie at My Baking Addiction

18 comments:

  1. Zucchini and blueberries in bread? Getting your USRDA of fruit and veggies in the same food? Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, the bread sounds great. What an interesting combination (blueberries and zucchini).
    And congrats to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to healthanize (if thats a word) sweet bread. Definitely worth a try! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love quick breads, I love zucchini & blueberries too but I've never had them together...sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your husband is ambitious. Congratulations to him for his achievement...and to you for feeding the athletes such a wonderful treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go to your husband!!! That is amazing!!
    The bread looks wonderful too! No wonder he did so well with you making things like this for him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now there's a combination I have never tried... intriguing. It looks like a beautiful loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks healthy,love blueberries,gonna try this

    ReplyDelete
  9. This bread looks AMAZING! And congrats to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Congrats to the hubs!! Iron Mans are intense!! And this bread looks to die for!! I would never have thought about blueberries and zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that sounds amazing and looks really good! I have never made zucchini bread and the blueberries really intrigues me! I could just imagine it toasted with globs of butter.....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to Mr. ATLATC (all that's left are the crumbs)!!! I can't even imagine being in a fraction of the shape he is in. I've been thinking that swim suit season is nearly here (it's still grey here, but we have Vegas in 3 weeks!) and I still haven't done a thing. Ugh!
    And now this blueberry zucchini bread. MMM!! Yes, I could sit down to a few slices of this with my afternoon tea!!!
    Glad to hear you had a great trip, life here has been a little on the crazy side too. How was Merriman's???!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your hubby's success. :)
    What a gorgeous bread. I love zucchini and the additional blueberry sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love zucchini bread but have never thought to add blueberries. What a genius idea. Congrats to your husband - what a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to your husband! The ironman is no joke!! This bread looks delish- love the idea of zucchini with blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rrrr, lost my comment, love the bread, congrats to your husband. Must make this soon.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the veggies paired with fruit in this bread! I always am adding chocolate chips to zucchini bread...this version is much healthier :) Congrats to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats to the Mr! This is a to try for sure recipe and I know what you mean about getting behind. Catching up sometimes seems impossible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.