Here it is To Try Tuesday and I feel a little behind the eight ball. I had actually made a few things in advance knowing that I was heading to the Big Island to see my husband compete in a Half-Ironman triathlon, but I seem to have been playing catch up ever since and my blog has suffered which has made me a little sad.
The good news is that my husbands hard work paid off and he was first in his age group (and 12th overall!) and earned a spot to the Ford Ironman World Championships in Kailua-Kona this October. The girls and I were really glad to be there to cheer him on to his win and take lots (I mean lots) of photos. I always love spending time on the Big Island, and this course is just beautiful, but it is even sweeter with his victory.
OK, back to your regularly scheduled post. I was recently searching for a recipe for a blueberry quick bread when I came across this recipe by Jamie at My Baking Addiction. Once you visit her blog you will have a baking addiction too. Her recipes are amazing, her photos are stunning, and she has very cool giveaways. A few of her recent posts include Key Lime Pie Ice Cream, Cherry Crisp in Jars, and Heath Bar Cupcakes. Let me just say that 13,379 (and counting) people on her Facebook page can't be wrong. If you haven't guessed already I do have a blogging crush on her blog. Where is that little embarrassed smiley when you need it?
Anyway, this quick bread was a big hit with my husband's Saturday training group. They loved the fact that it had blueberries and zucchini, and a bit of whole wheat flour in it, so it didn't totally negate all of the hard work they had put in training before consuming it. I did sneak a piece the night before and I totally agree that this is a very tasty bread. It will definitely be a repeater in my household.
Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease an 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugars.
- Fold in the zucchini.
- Beat in the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer to the prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Bake 55-65 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes in pan, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.