June 03, 2011

Chicken Satay Salad



Sometimes a recipe just does not look overly appetizing in a photograph but has unbelievable flavor.  This is one of those recipes.  I know that the funny yellow color might be a little off-putting but after one bite you will be a believer in this dish.

I honestly don't remember where this recipe came from but there have been some changes made to the original recipe over the years.  It may have come from The Australian Women's Weekly, as this was the magazine of choice in my household growing up.  It is something I used to make all the time because it can be made in advance and simply plated when you are ready to eat, so it is the perfect dish for a potluck or a picnic.  Since it is served cold it also makes a great dinner on a hot summers' night.




This dish does need to be made at least a day in advance since it needs to chill overnight.  This was always a hit with my family because although it is a curry, it is more of a sweet curry than a spicy one.


Chicken Satay Salad

Ingredients
  • 500 g chicken breast fillets (3-4)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 medium onion, chopped finely
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 340 ml can coconut milk
  • ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • ¼ cup plain yogurt
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 bunch curly leaf lettuce
  • Small punnet cherry tomatoes
  • ½ cup cashews, divided

Preparation
  1. Cut chicken into thin strips.
  2. Heat oil in a large pan. Add curry powder, onion, and garlic; cook for 2 minutes or until onion is soft.
  3. Add chicken; cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
  4. Stir in coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce and honey; bring to a boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes until sauce has slightly thickened.
  5. Refrigerate chicken for several hours or until cold.
  6. Remove chicken from sauce. Whisk yogurt and water into remaining sauce. Return chicken to sauce and add ¼ cup cashews; mix thoroughly.
  7. Line a serving platter with lettuce. Top with chicken, halved tomatoes, and remaining cashew nuts.


Adapted recipe by All That's Left Are The Crumbs

12 comments:

  1. This is a create salad and with that cashew can imagine the richness. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word satay makes it look good no matter what justice (or injustice) a photo may do. I think yours look great. I love curry so I'm a believer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, some of my favorite tasting dishes are the worst looking and impossible to photograph! This does sound delicious, a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a new found love for chicken satay and an old love for chicken salad...these two things were meant to come together. Thanks for sharing! Saved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may not look pretty, but it sounds awesome! Satay and cashews...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I love chicken satay, so I can definitely get behind trying this salad. Sometimes delicious food just doesn't photograph well. As long as it tastes good, that's all that really matters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a very interesting alternative to regular chicken salad. Will make sure to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love curry. I agree, some recipes don't look so good but they taste great. I am so glad you shared this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sweet curries, but have never made chicken salad like this before. Time to step out of my box :) Thank you for the recipe and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was this amazing Chicken Satay dish at my favorite Thai Restaurant, but when I became vegetarian that was no longer an option.

    This could be a great make-at-home version...with vegetarian chicken of course!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.