I do love a good quick bread. The recipe for Vanilla Bean Bread first appeared on Baking Bites back in December and quickly went on my To Try list. I love that it is a different take on banana bread. And let's face it - variety is the spice of life!
It seems to be either feast or famine in my house when it comes to bananas. The apple bananas do seem to be eaten way before the run-of-the-mill Cavendish bananas, but that is fine with me because I think that they make much better banana bread.
The only change I made to this recipe was to add some passionfruit pulp. I have about 6 passionfruit that I need to use up, so the pulp of one went into the bread. I am a big fan of the seeds, but feel free to push the pulp through a fine sieve to dispose of them if you prefer.
We all loved this bread and the tropical taste to it. It freezes well too, so you can always have a loaf of banana bread on hand.
To Try Tuesday - Vanilla Bean Banana-Passionfruit Bread
(Printer Friendly Recipe)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup vanilla sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (2-3 medium)
- pulp of 1 passionfruit
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste)
- Preheat oven 350F and lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vanilla sugar and eggs until well combined, then whisk in the mashed banana, passionfruit, milk, butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined, making sure no streaks of flour remain.
- Pour batter out into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Turn loaf out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Makes 1 loaf.
Recipe by Nicole Weston from Baking Bites.