February 23, 2011

To Try Tuesday - Banana-Cappuccino Chip Blondies



I love to keep up with what my blogger friends are up to.  It never ceases to amaze me what new recipes they have imagined into reality, or the friendly advice they have for those of us who are just starting out. Usually this is done via my Blogger Reading List, Foodbuzz, email subscriptions, and Facebook.   One recipe that caught my attention recently was Banana Cinnamon Chip Blondies on Blog is the New Black.  At some time I had also printed out a Blondie recipe from Smitten Kitchen, so I decided to blend the two of them together.




When I am making brownies, or blondies in this case, I really like to have big, fat, chewy-gooey squares as an end result. I really don't like the flat kind of brownies that are the result of a single batch being cooked in a rectangular pan, so I usually make a double batch and bake them in a square tin.





For some reason I always thought that Blondies were bar cookies that were made with white chocolate, and that using milk (or dark) chocolate would make them Brownies instead.   After reading the post by Liz (Blog is the New Black) I learned that Blondies actually have brown sugar, rather than chocolate, as the  main ingredient. 


Somewhere along the line I grabbed a bag of cappuccino chips rather than cinnamon chips, but I loved the result so much that I am glad that I made this mistake.  I nibbled on some of the crumbs as I was cutting them up and getting them ready for their close-up and the flavor is just amazing.  I had to restrain myself for now but, later tonight, these will be enjoyed with a cup of Ka'u coffee for sure.  Then the rest will be packaged up for my daughters to take to school tomorrow and share with their friends.


Edit - Thank you so much for your lovely comments.  For those who have been asking about the cappuccino chips I purchased them online from King Arthur Flour.  I am a big fan of this store, not only do they have amazing products, but their customer service is outstanding.  I used the regular-sized chips in my version, but they also sell a mini size. 



Banana-Cappuccino Chip Blondies

Ingredients
  • 16 tablespoons butter, melted (2 sticks)
  • 2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 cups mashed banana (about 4 medium bananas)
  • 1 ½ cups cappuccino chips
  • 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
Preparation
  1. Butter an 8×8 pan.
  2. Mix melted butter with brown sugar and beat until smooth. 
  3. Add eggs and then vanilla, and mix well. 
  4. Mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda and stir in to the mixture. 
  5. Mix in banana and cappuccino chips.
  6. Pour into prepared pan. 
  7. Sprinkle sugar evenly over the top.
  8. Bake at 350°F approximately 45 minutes, or until set in the middle.
  9. Cool on rack before cutting into squares.

Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen and Blog is the New Black

36 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great combo with banana and cappuccino chips :) I just love this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. banana and cappuccino chip...Like this.. it's bookmarked by me ^_^
    Thx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really lovely combination :) Looks so soft :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good. I like the banana cappuccino combo, although I ve never seen cappuccino chips.
    Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to find these elusive cappuccino chips!! If I can't find them, these would still be great with cinnamon chips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh, cool factoid about brown sugar being the main ingredient of blondies; I didn't know that either! Definite props for including coffee/cappuccino into your recipe; that's always a winner in my book. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Your desserts look amazing, you come up with the best look stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you find cappuccino chips? I don't think I've ever seen them. I do love chocolate but we're big blondie fans and these look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @The Food Hound

    Thanks for visiting my blog.I ordered my cappuccino chips online from King Arthur Flour. There is a link on the post now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the combination of flavors. What a happy mistake, huh? They look almost cake like! Nice recipe combining - works perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a yummy hybrid of two great recipes!! Now if only I could figure out a way to get one on my desk right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're always coming up with the best idea to bake! And I love the idea of the cappuccino chips! A friend Barbara Bakes put me onto cinnamon chips and I was addicted. I can imagine how good the cappuccino chips would be too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not had blondies in a whilte. These looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks so good! I made an apple and coffee cake earlier today and it turned out terrible. Maybe these'll do the trick and satisfy my fruity/coffee craving :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why have I never tried cappuccino chips? These blondies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that is definitely one fat, thick slice! It looks even more appetizing that way. Cappuccino chips sound like a great accidental addition too. What a yummy sounding flavor combo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How have I never heard of cappuccino chips before?!?!? UGH! I feel seriously deprived!! They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. these blodies look fantastic. love the banana cappuccino chips combo. i have to order some. thanks for the recipe Felice, hope you'll have a wonderful Friday

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love blondies much more than brownies! And these ones look delicious. And I'm with you: I like big fat ones!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can only imagine the wonderful smell of these blondies...never mind the great taste! Great choice of flavors for these treats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a perfect combo! Liv is a banana-aholic and has had a taste for anything coffee flavored since she was little. I can see these not lasting very long in our household1!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your photos are mouthwatering! What a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on the top 9 top spot! these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how I love my blondies! This looks incredible and I cant wait to try. I bet my 2 yr old would agree. Found your link on dessert wars and had to stop by. Love the blog and now a follower! Hope to keep in touch! Come visit if you get the chance! Have a fabulous weekend!

    Xo-Jessica
    www.kitchenbelleicious.com
    www.belleiciouskids.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it! You are a genius. Can't wait to try this recipe. Sounds divine. Thank you so very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my! These sound like the best blondies ever! I definitely need to get me some cappuccino chips!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look great, Felice! I bet they're so moist! Great work. I've never seen cappuccino chips. I'll be on the look out next time I'm at the grocery store. I wonder if you can make them?...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Buzzed this-very creative. I too love KAF products.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Woo-hoo look at you go! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look...amazing!! Wow...I need to find some cappuccino chips. Just to eat. Or make your recipe with.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great job! These sound so yummy! Cappuccino chips are a must-try!

    ReplyDelete
  32. those blondies are calling to me, I would love to try a few! I never knew you could buy things from King
    Arthur's flour, I will have to check out their web site!
    Congrats on your top 9 today!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mmm, banana blondies sound delightful. I love it when blondies get twisted up into a new version. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your blondies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Usually I don't like being late to a party, but I'm behind in my reading so a few days late in commenting. I'm glad though, because I got to see where I can buy those amazing cappuccino chips as a result! The blondies look absolutely perfect. I'm not a chocolate fan so it's wonderful to see something non-chocolate spotlighted. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I made these yesterday, i had capuccino chips and a few over ripe bananas so i was thrilled to find your recipe. one question though, was it supposed to be a 13x9 pan? i tried an 8x8 and it seemed too full, i was afraid to bake it so i chose to scoop some out into a loaf pan...the flavor was awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.