Honey Macadamia Bunches
I discovered this recipe at the Whole Grain Gourmet when I was searching for some healthy treats to make. My husband is currently training for the Ironman (Triathlon) World Championships in Kona and he does a big training session on Saturdays with a group of friends. I really wanted to find something a little more healthy that he could take to share after their big workout. I made some changes to the original recipe by replacing the pecans with macadamia nuts, decreasing the sugar, and adding vanilla, cinnamon, & salt. Other than that I made the recipe as stated. I realize that this is not the healthiest recipe I could make due to the amount of butter. Next time I will try replacing some of the butter with apple sauce.
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cups finely ground flax seed
- 1 cup coconut (shredded or flaked)
- 1 cup macadamias (chopped)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup honey or molasses
- 1 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 325
- Combine oats, flour, flax seed, coconut, salt, cinnamon, and nuts in a large bowl.
- Melt butter, sugar and honey in saucepan over low heat, then add vanilla.
- Add melted butter mixture to dry ingredients.
- Fill mini muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake 9-12 minutes, until browned and chewy.
These were so easy to make and I really liked that you can make extras as they freeze really well. I also think that they would be good with some crystallized ginger added to the mixture.