November 17, 2016

London Fog and Pear Bundt Cake ~ #BundtBakers

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how it is already the middle of November.  Seriously, where did the year go?  Fortunately there is always something to look forward to with the #BundtBakers, and our theme for November is pear.






Recently at Starbucks I noticed that they have a drink called a London Fog Tea Latte. Maybe they have had it for a while and I just didn't notice, after all it is all about the PSL right now.  Anyway, I decided to try it and it was delicious. Now I am making them at home, because honestly, regular trips to Starbucks can add up very quickly. When I saw our theme for this month I thought that the bergamot orange flavor of the tea would pair nicely with pears.





The recipe I based my bundt on is from A Pretty Life, and I adapted it by adding pears and cutting back on the sugar.  I actually soaked the pears in the tea mixture as it was steeping.  I then placed the pears in my mini food processor, and roughly chopped them.  You could also puree them if you prefer a smoother mixture in your cake.





The pears in the cake make it super moist, and they are sweet so you really don't need as much sugar. I would probably add an extra tea bag to the steeping mixture next time as I felt like the flavor didn't come through as strong as I would have liked it to. For me a light dusting of powdered sugar completed the cake. A drizzle of icing would be nice too, but my advice would be to keep it light so that the cake doesn't become too moist and fall apart when you cut it.






If you would like to know more about #BundtBakers and see what the other bakers made for our pear theme please scroll down below the recipe. Thank you to Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook for hosting this month.


London Fog and Pear Bundt Cake
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
  • 113g butter
  • 150g sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2.5ml vanilla
  • 300g flour
  • 20g baking powder
  • 5g salt
  • 240ml whole milk
  • 2 Earl Grey Tea bags
  • 2 pears (peeled, cored, and quartered)
  • powdered sugar for garnish

Preparation
  1. Preheat your oven to 180℃.
  2. Spray a nonstick 10-cup bundt pan with baking spray.
  3. Heat up the 240ml of milk, then add the 2 tea bags to the hot milk and let steep at least 10 minutes. Add pears to the milk mixture and let steep a further 10 minutes.
  4. Remove tea bags from the milk and discard the tea bags, then remove the pears and place them in the bowl of a food processor.  Gently process until they are roughly chopped. Set aside.
  5. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  6. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
  7. Add the eggs, one at a time incorporating fully between each addition.
  8. Add vanilla, and mix well.
  9. Turn the stand mixer to low, and add the flour mixture in two additions alternating with the milk mixture, starting and finishing with the dry ingredients and beating just until combined.
  10. Pour half of the batter into the prepared bundt pan, then place the chopped pears over batter. Top with the remaining batter.
  11. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
  12. Allow to cool in pan about 10 minutes, then flip onto a cake plate and cool completely. 
  13. Dust with powdered sugar.
Recipe inspired by A Pretty Life
For US Measurements please click here







#BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about #BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.


And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month ~



12 comments:

  1. Delicious bundt Geoghean. I love your bundt with Earl Grey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks darned tasty to me. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look how pretty that bundt is inside. I also love that you added in Earl Grey to your bundt, so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband likes Earl Gray. I'm sure he's love your cake. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this sounds like heaven. I'm not a big starbucks drinker, so I hadn't heard of the london fog latte and had to look it up.
    OMG- I LOVE earl grey, and always drink it with milk and honey, so I'm definitely going to have to try one.
    AND, the idea of mixing it into a bundt cake with pears, genius! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really delicious and what a great idea of flavour combinations - pears and tea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you soaked the pears in the steeping tea! And I like that swirl of pear running through. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowww!!! That creamy pear puree inside must be a sin. It looks delicious!! I love it!!! Yummy!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your use of tea in this cake...oh, and one of these days, I will finally break down and buy this Bundt pan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.