December 17, 2015

Spiced Ginger Bundt Cake with Caramel Brandy Sauce ~ #BundtBakers





It is a great feeling to be baking once again, especially with the talented bakers in the #BundtBakers group. A bundt cake is one of my favorite cakes to make, whether it be plain or decorated, and they always seem to keep so well.  A little whipped cream, ice cream, or vanilla custard served on the side never hurts either. There are so many fantastic bundt cake pans out there that it is easy to become a collector of them.  The pan I used in this recipe, the Chiffon Bundt Cake Pan, has special meaning to me.  It was sent to me by two special friends to lift my spirits during a difficult time.  I had no idea it was being sent to me until the box arrived at my door. For this reason it will always be my favorite bundt pan.


There was never a better time to re-join the #BundtBakers group - the theme this month is Naughty or Nice. How fun is that?  Since my bundt cake in on the spicy side and has brandy in the sauce I guess I am in the Naughty category, which may be shocking to some. Sometimes it is fun to switch things up :)











This is the perfect time of year to use warm spices in your baking - nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice and ginger - all blend together to warm your soul.  I am a big fan of ginger in general, and love it in both sweet and savory dishes.  This recipe really amps up the ginger flavor with both ground ginger and crystallized ginger in the cake. The kitchen smelled amazing as it baked and it was equally delicious when it was on my plate. The ginger is front and center, but it is slightly tempered by the other spices and makes it seem a little like gingerbread, but it looks nothing like gingerbread.  I also loved the pieces of chopped ginger that I got in each bite of cake. The caramel sauce however, well lets just say I am still on the fence about it. It tasted just fine but I guess I am used to a thicker caramel sauce, so I'll leave it up to your discretion as to whether you make this sauce, or substitute another caramel sauce in its place.






If you would like to know more about #BundtBakers and see what the other bakers made for the Naughty or Nice theme please scroll down below the recipe. Thank you to Olivia from Liv for Cake for hosting this month and choosing the Naughty or Nice theme.


Spiced Ginger Bundt Cake with Caramel Brandy Sauce
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
Cake ~
  • 285g butter
  • 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
  • 300g all-purpose flour
  • 140g slivered almonds
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1½ teaspoons nutmeg
  • 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon ground cloves
  • 200g dark brown sugar
  • 200g sugar
  • 140g chopped crystallized ginger
  • 95g powdered sugar plus additional for dusting
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 5 large eggs
  • 120ml whole milk
  • 125g sour cream

Caramel Sauce ~
  • 200g sugar
  • Pinch of cream of tartar
  • 60ml cup apple juice
  • 60ml heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons brandy
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt

Preparation
Cake ~
  1. Arrange a rack in middle of oven and preheat to 180°C. 
  2. Generously coat a 10-cup Bundt pan with baking spray. 
  3. Place butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean and add the bean. 
  4. Cook, stirring often, until butter foams, then browns (careful not to burn), about 5 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean and pour brown butter into a medium bowl. Chill until slightly firm, about 45 minutes.
  5. Place flour and almonds in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until almonds are finely ground.  Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in baking powder and next 7 ingredients; set aside.
  6. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat brown butter, brown sugar, sugar, and ¾ cup powdered sugar in a large bowl, frequently scraping down sides and bottom of bowl and beaters.  Continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in lemon zest. 
  7. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions then continue to beat the mixture until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
  8. Reduce speed to low. Add half of dry ingredients; mix until almost blended. Add milk and sour cream; mix until almost blended. Add remaining dry ingredients; mix until batter is blended and smooth. Stir in crystallized ginger.
  9. Pour into prepared pan. Tap pan gently on counter to even out.
  10. Bake until a tester inserted near the center of cake comes out clean and cake is dark golden brown and has begun pulling from sides of pan, 65-70 minutes.
  11. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let the cake cool in pan for 25 minutes. Invert cake onto rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour. This cake can be made 2 days ahead and stored airtight at room temperature.
  12. Dust cake lightly with powdered sugar. Drizzle caramel sauce over cake, allowing it to drip down sides and into grooves and crevices. Serve remaining sauce alongside.

Caramel Sauce ~
  1. Combine sugar, cream of tartar, and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook, without stirring and occasionally swirling pan for even cooking, until mixture turns a dark amber color; remove from heat.
  2. Slowly add apple juice, cream, brandy, vanilla, and salt (mixture will bubble vigorously), whisking to combine. Return pan to medium heat and bring to a vigorous boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring to dissolve any caramel bits, for 1 minute. 
  3. Remove from heat and let cool. Set aside. Caramel sauce can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill. Re-warm slightly before using.

Recipe adapted from Epicurious
For US measurements please click here



BundtBakers



#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving Bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all of our lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest Board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers can be found on our homepage.








12 comments:

  1. Love those warm spices as well, Felice! I would say the caramel sauce is a must! And that IS a beautiful Bundt pan. I am so glad that friends who understood just what would lift your spirits sent it to you. We've missed you at Bundt Bakers for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake looks absolutely heavenly! I love the chunks of ginger visible in the cut slice. Yum!
    Such a lovely story about the pan too- it sure is a beautiful one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge fan of ginger too, in all forms, so your cake sounds perfect to me, especially with that caramel sauce! This or not, I bet it tastes amazing :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crystalized ginger looks sooo good in this cake (I order it from Holland, since I can't find it in Spain), and the combination of all the spices with the caramel sauce.... perfect Christmas :-) Wishing you a wonderful Christmas!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth is watering with the thought of that caramel drizzle....YUM

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cake looks lovely! I really need to add this pan to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love how you take photos of the crumbs. :) Makes me smile every time, welcome back. (Your other photos are beautiful, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ginger too. I love to put in tea and cookies, but really the options are endless, as you well know. great bundt! I bake he shoots | #BundtBakers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crystallized ginger is a 'must-have' ingredient in my pantry so I was doubly excited to see it in the cake along with the ground ginger. It looks absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake looks awesome! Love your bundt pan too! I'll have to look into your group come January. It sounds like so much fun! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow that looks so moist and good. I'm all over ginger spiced anything, especially cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an absolutely beautiful cake. It looks so moist and delicious to enjoy with a cup of tea. I am sure it made a beautiful addition to the holiday table. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.