December 10, 2013

Cardamom Snowdrop Cookies




Everyone seems to be in major cookie mode at the moment, and I'm loving it.  I saw these cookies over at Savory Simple and knew that I would have to make them. Cardamom has to be one of my favorite spices - it is extremely aromatic and since it comes from a plant belonging to the ginger family it has a nice zing to it. Cardamom pods are native to southern India and, by weight, they are the third most expensive spice in the world. Luckily a little goes a long way.










These cookies are an adaptation of what I know as Russian Tea Cakes.  A wonderfully crumbly, messy cookie that seems to dare you to eat just one which I have found to be impossible. They are kind of like a shortbread that has been rolled in powdered sugar, only better.  I decided having cardamom in the topping alone, was not enough so I added a little more to the cookie dough too.  I may have just found my new favorite holiday cookie.






These cookies were extremely popular in my household, so much so that I almost didn't get my last traditional photo of the crumbs - it was almost All That's Left Is The Container! They are such an easy cookie to make, and I know that they would be a good one to make with kids since they have the perfect size hands to roll them into little balls. The powdered sugar can be a little messy, but you could always put it in a plastic bag, let them add a few cookies at a time, and then shake gently it to cover the cookies in the topping.


Cardamom Snowdrop Cookies
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
Cookies
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 ¼ cups almond meal
  • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cardamom
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
Topping
  • 1½ cups powdered sugar
  • 1½ teaspoons cardamom

Preparation

  1. Preheat the oven to 325℉. 
  2. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper.
  3. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, ½ cup confectioners sugar and vanilla for several minutes until light and fluffy.
  4. Sift the flour, cardamom and salt together.
  5. Turn the mixer speed down to low and slowly add the almond meal, followed by the flour, making sure to scrape down the sides once or twice to make sure the dough is evenly mixed.
  6. Use a teaspoon-sized scoop to measure out cookies. Use your hands to roll each cookie into a ball and place about 1-inch apart on the tray.
  7. Bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes. 
  8. While the cookies are baking, sift together the topping ingredients in a bowl.
  9. Remove the cookies from the oven and while they're still warm, carefully coat each cookie by rolling them in the sugar cardamom mixture and set aside to cool. 
  10. Once the cookies have cooled (about 15-20 minutes), toss them again in the sugar mixture.

Recipe by Savory Simple



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.