It is time for Bundtamonth! The theme for this month was to bake a bundt that captures the holiday theme. I immediately thought of candy canes and how I could incorporate them into a cake. Peppermint alone may have a little overwhelming so I decided to go with a ribbon of peppermint through the middle of the cake, and crushed candy canes on top.
It's always said that it is the most wonderful time of the year right now, but it is the also the busiest time of the year, so for my bundt this month I took a shortcut and used a boxed cake mix. Don't get me wrong, I love to bake from scratch but there are those times where having a cake mix in the cupboard can be a life saver. This cake can be put together and in the oven in about 15 minutes, and while it is baking you can make the icing. From start to finish this cake should take you no more than two hours, and you will have an impressive treat to share. You could even make it as mini bundt and give them away to family and friends as holidays gifts.
Don't be too shocked but I didn't make any changes to this recipe, although it is so simple that what could I possibly change? Well, I did think of doing a chocolate-peppermint drizzle over the top so I may try that next time.
Here's how you can be a part of #BundtaMonth ~
- Simple rule: Bake us a bundt with a holiday theme
- Post it before December 31, 2013
- Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title could read – #BundtaMonth: Candy Cane Bundt
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to our announcement posts
Even more bundt fun! Follow Bundt-a-Month on Facebook where we feature all our gorgeous bundt cakes. Or head over to our Pinterest board for inspiration and choose from hundreds of Bundt cake recipes.
If you are looking for ideas make sure you check out these amazing bundts featuring our holiday theme~
- Candy Cane Bundt by Felice at All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Cranberry Walnut and Ginger Holiday Cake by Deepti at Baking Yummies
- Dark Chocolate Orange Bundt with Dark Chocolate Orange Glaze by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Double Chocolate Glazed Peppermint Bundt Cake by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Gingerbread Spice Bundt with Caramel Sauce by Jill at Made With Love
- Peppermint Pound Cake by Kate at Food Babbles
- Red and White Marbled Bundt by Holly at A Baker’s A Baker's House
On a sad note this will our last posts for the Bundtamonth group. Thanks to Lora and Anuradha for all of the hard work they put into this. I have learned so much in the short time I have been with the bakers, and made some good friends. Stay tuned as we are hoping to have an announcement soon about a new bundt baking group - we just love those bundts!
Candy Cane Bundt Cake
(Printer Friendly Recipe)
- 1 box white cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Egg whites called for on cake mix box
- ½ teaspoon red food color
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla, if desired
- Crushed candy canes or crushed hard peppermint candies, if desired
- Heat oven to 350℉ (325°F for dark or nonstick pan).
- Generously grease and flour 12-cup bundt pan.
- Make cake batter as directed on box.
- Pour about 2 cups batter into pan.
- In small bowl, pour about ¾ cup batter; stir in food color and peppermint extract.
- Carefully pour pink batter over white batter in pan.
- Carefully pour remaining white batter over pink batter.
- Bake and cool cake as directed on box.
- In small bowl, mix white icing ingredients.
- If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth and spreadable.
- Spread over cake.
- Sprinkle crushed candy on top.
Recipe from Tablespoon.com