I am a big fan of ginger, especially in baked goods. On my trip to Australia a few months ago I discovered a new taste sensation in the form of dark chocolate coated ginger. I brought a box back with me but it didn't last long. When I saw this recipe for Double Ginger Chocolate Cookies on I'll Have What She's Having I knew I'd have to try it.
Recently I placed my first order with King Arthur Flour. I received a packet of their baking chips once as a gift and since that time I have been ogling the catalog and fighting with myself - should I or shouldn't I? I am so glad that I finally caved as not only do they have excellent products, but their customer service is probably the best I have ever encountered. Without going into details let me just say that I came away from the experience as a customer for life. And no, I did not receive any free products, just excellent customer service, something that seems to be lacking in some other businesses these days. And my order shipped quickly too, which is always a bonus.
One of the products I purchased was Black Cocoa Powder. It is described on their site as "super-dark, super-rich Dutch-process cocoa that will make the darkest chocolate cake or cookies you've ever seen". This was exactly how I wanted these cookies to look. You only have to use a small amount to achieve this. Also, to boost the ginger flavor I decided to add an additional ingredient - finely chopped crystallized ginger. I love the sweet bite of crystallized ginger, and I love adding it to cookies as you get nice little bits in each bite.
These cookies did not last long. They looked liked a dark chocolate cookie, but smelled just like a ginger cookie - the best of both worlds! I think that they would make a great base for ice cream sandwiches.
So tell me, what are some of your favorite companies to order from online?
Triple Ginger Chocolate Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Flour Black Cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses (I used golden syrup)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger (I used Gourmet Garden Ginger)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, ground cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the molasses, egg and fresh ginger until well combined.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, drop dough onto a cookie sheet about two inches apart.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Remove cookies from tray and cool on a wire rack.
- Makes about 36 cookies.