November 12, 2019

Masala Paratha ~ #TheBreadBakers


Masala Paratha is a wonderfully flavored unleavened Indian 
wheat bread that is usually fried on a griddle.

Baking along with the Bread Bakers is always an adventure as it gives me a chance to try something new.  This month we are baking Indian Flatbreads/Parathas and I choose to bake Masala Paratha. A paratha (sometimes called a parantha), is a type of unleavened flat bread made with whole wheat flour. Although you can eat it plain, you can also stuff it with vegetables like potatoes or cauliflower or even paneer which is a fresh, non-melting cheese. Once the dough is kneaded it can be shaped into a square, triangular or round shape and fried in oil on a griddle.




I love Indian food, but I am not very experienced making it myself.  I am fascinated by the fragrant and colorful spices, and would totally buy myself a masala dabba if I knew what to do with the spices it could contain.  I really wish there were places here where you could take cooking lessons in different cuisines. When I decided to make a masala paratha I went to a bulk food/grocery store near where I work to purchase the spices I needed as I wanted them to be as fresh as possible.  I could not stop sniffing the bag they were in as the combination smelled like the most amazing curry.





This recipe was really easy to put together, although I may have to practice my rolling out into a square a little more.  For a first attempt I was pretty happy with them and it gave us a good excuse to order take-out Indian food for dinner.




Paratha is usually eaten meat and vegetable curries, although in Northern Indian they are eaten for breakfast, and they can also be eaten as a dessert, with caramelized sugar on top - talk about being versatile!



I couldn't resist putting in this photo of a paratha cooking in my skillet - it doesn't look too happy about the heat does it? šŸ¤£


Please scroll down past the recipe to learn more about the Bread Bakers and see what all of the talented bakers have baked this month.

Masala Paratha
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
  • 230g (1½ cups) whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon red chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1 teaspoon coriander powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
  • salt to taste
  • 30ml (2 tablespoons) oil plus more for frying paratha
  • ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped finely
  • 105ml (½ cup) water, as needed

Preparation
  1. Take whole wheat flour, red chili, turmeric, coriander and garam masala powder along with cumin and caraway seeds, and salt in a bowl; mix well.
  2. Add oil and chopped cilantro; mix it by rubbing it using your fingertips.
  3. Add a little water at a time and start kneading the dough (the dough should be soft like plain paratha dough).
  4. Cover and let it rest for 15 minutes.
  5. After 15 minutes, knead the dough once again and smooth out.
  6. Divide it into 9 equal portions and make smooth balls, then flatten them slightly between your palms. Simultaneously, heat the skillet on medium heat to fry the paratha.
  7. While it is heating, work with one flattened ball a time, roll into about 12.5cm (5 inch) diameter circle.
  8. Apply very little oil on it and fold from both opposite sides, they will overlap a little.
  9. Again apply little oil and fold vertically one side. fold again, it will be square
  10. Use a Silpat mat or dust it with dry flour for easy rolling
  11. Roll it by keeping the square shape, if you can manage.
  12. Place rolled paratha in the skillet.
  13. Fry the paratha using little oil till both sides have few brown spots and it is cooked through.
  14. When done take it out from skillet and put in an insulated container to keep it hot.
  15. Repeat the same process till all the parathas are ready.


BreadBakers

BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month, the Bread Bakers are making Indian Flatbreads/Parathas, a theme chosen by Renu from Cook With Renu.

And don’t forget to check out all the amazing Indian Flatbreads/Parathas baked by our talented
bakers ~


5 comments:

  1. Love the square shape of this bread. All those spices are sure to make it wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, any excuse to eat Indian food is a good one! I don't think I've ever seen square parathas, Felice. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving this paratha Felice with all that spices and I see to it that you have used the best wholemeal flour for this. Looks very healthy and delicious. I will tell you something, since I am rolling paratha's now for long, it always comes in circle, for me to making a square is difficult and you have done it so wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors of all the spices, and that little pop of green from the cilantro is so appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The masala parathas look perfect. Such lovely combination of spices. I am sure the parathas must have been very flavourful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.