February 21, 2019

Banana Nutella Swirl Bundt Cake with Coffee Crumble ~ #BundtBakers

You can't make everyone happy - you aren't a jar of Nutella. However, you can take that jar of
Nutella and swirl it into a banana cake and that would pretty much make everyone happy.

The Bundt Bakers are making bundts with Nutella this month, and I am very happy about that.  I can still remember the first time I saw Nutella.  It was way back in elementary school, and a student in my class (who was from Europe) brought in a sandwich that had Nutella on it.  As an Aussie kid who grew up eating Vegemite sandwiches for lunch the idea of chocolate on a sandwich was so exotic and weirdly wonderful that I really wanted to try it, but I was too shy to ask for a bite.






It would be quite a few years until I actually got to try Nutella as it wasn't readily available in Australia, but once I did I was hooked. I love the taste of chocolate and hazelnuts together in any form. Of course I am one of those people who was pronouncing it wrong my whole life, since it is actually pronounced new-tell-uh, not nuh-tell-uh. 







This is one of the easiest cakes I have made as there is no creaming of the butter and sugar or adding the dry ingredients alternately with the wet ingredients. I decided to add a coffee crumb topping, but this cake would be just as good without it. Since I made it in my new lotus bundt pan, which only has a five-cup capacity, I had enough leftover batter to make some mini bundts too - which my husband really appreciated. The hardest thing about this cake is making sure that the Nutella is soft enough because it is extremely difficult to swirl if you use is straight from the jar.





My entire family loved this cake, so I can see me making this again and again and I guarantee you will love it too.




If you would like to know more about the Bundt Bakers and see what the other bakers made for the Nutella Bundts theme please scroll down below the recipe.


Banana Nutella Swirl Bundt Cake with Coffee Crumble
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
Coffee Crumble ~
  • 100g (½ cup) packed brown sugar
  • 70g (½ cup) all purpose flour
  • 1-2 teaspoons espresso powder, to taste
  • 60g (4 tablespoons) butter, softened
Cake ~
  • 75ml (⅓ cup) buttermilk
  • 240g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
  • 200g (1 cup) granulated sugar
  • 6g (1 ½ teaspoons) baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 115g (½ cup) butter melted
  • 8 tablespoons Nutella, softened

Preparation
Coffee Crumble ~
  1. In a medium bowl combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter, and mix until it resembles coarse crumbs; set aside
Cake ~
  1. Preheat oven to 180℃ (350℉).
  2. Spray a 9-cup bundt pan with baking spray.
  3. Sprinkle the coffee crumb mixture over the bottom of the bundt pan; set aside
  4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
  5. In a medium mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
  6. Add the mashed bananas, melted butter and buttermilk, mixing to combine.
  7. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
  8. Pour half of the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
  9. Place 4 tablespoons of Nutella around the bundt pan and using a knife, swirl it into the batter.
  10. Pour the remaining batter into the pan and again place and swirl the remaining 4 tablespoons of Nutella.
  11. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
  12. Transfer pan to a wire rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting to a cake plate or serving dish.





#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.

And don't forget to check out all of the amazing Nutella Bundts baked this month~



3 comments:

  1. I was today years old when I found out the correct pronunciation of Nutella. Everything about this cake intrigues me. The Nutella filling and those coffee crumbles have me swooning. What a perfect cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woww!! It looks delicious!!!! That Nutella Swirl looks amazing!! Love it!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.