October 19, 2017

Butternut Squash Chai Bundt Cake ~ #BundtBakers

Autumn is my favorite color.  The red, the gold, the orange a combine to
put on one of the greatest shows on earth.




I guess it is a little strange for fall or autumn to be my favorite season as I haven't truly experienced this season in over 20 years.  My home is on a tropical island, and yet I sometimes long to be somewhere to see the leaves change color and fall. It just seems so peaceful.  It is probably why I choose the theme Orange for this months #BundtBakers.





The idea behind the theme was that you could bake a bundt that is orange, or is flavored with orange.  I went with a bundt that is the color orange.  Butternut, or any kind of pumpkin would work well in this bundt, and it pairs beautifully with chai.  There are a lot of spices in this bundt, and that is just the way that I like it. Measure out all the ingredients in advance and you will have this cake in the oven in no time.  There are no photos showing a slice as it was a gift, but I can assure you that it had a lovely soft crumb and tasted just like a cake in fall should.




If you would like to know more about #BundtBakers and see what the other bakers made for our Orange theme please scroll down below the recipe.


Butternut Squash Chai Bundt Cake
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
  • 170g (1½ sticks) butter, softened, plus a little extra for greasing the bundt pan
  • 385g (2¾ cups) all-purpose flour plus a little extra for dusting the bundt pan, about 2 tbsp
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon chai masala (see recipe below)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 260g (1 cup) cooked and mashed butternut squash
  • 175ml (¾ cup) milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 150g (¾ cup) granulated sugar
  • 90g (½ cup) brown sugar, packed
  • 30g (¼ cup) powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon chai masala, additional

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 180 ℃ (350℉).
  2. Spray a 25cm (10-inch) nonstick bundt pan with baking spray.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt: set aside.
  4. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, milk and vanilla: set aside
  5. In a large bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment fitted, beat together the butter and granulated sugar until the mixture turns pale and fluffy (about 3 to 5 minutes).
  6. Add the brown sugar and beat to mix well.
  7. Add the eggs one at a time beating to mix well between each egg.
  8. Add a third of the flour and beat on low speed. Then add half of the pumpkin mixture and beat. Add another third of the flour, then the second half of the pumpkin and finally the last of the flour. Make sure to beat to mix well between each addition.
  9. Pour the batter into prepared bundt pan, smoothing out the top with a spatula.
  10. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, testing the cake by inserting a cake tester into the center of the cake. 
  11. Cool cake in the bundt pan on a rack for 15 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack.
  12. Cool for at least 30 more minutes until cool to the touch before dusting with powdered sugar and additional chai masala mix.

Chai Masala

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp ginger powder
  • 2 tbsp cardamom
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1½ teaspoons cloves
  • 1½ teaspoons black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon saffron

Preparation
  1. Mix all the ingredients and store in an airtight container.


BundtBakers



#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. I had the honor of hosting this month and the theme I chose was Orange - be it flavor or color.  You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about #BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.

And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month ~



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting Felice. Your bundt is gorgeous. Love butternut squash and I'm sure the chai made it very flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo for you for using butternut squash in a cake and making it sounds so freaking delicious!!! Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck - Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I love the last picture, in which the dish is empty. So I should do it haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn is also my favourite season! Fortunately we have a "bit" of autumn here in the south of Spain, although not much ;-) Loved the theme, Felice, unfortunately I couldn't bake this week but I will be making my Bundt next week :-) Your Bundt cake looks fantastic, and love the flavour of chai :-) Thank you Felice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting flavor combo! Once I made an attempt at a Butternut Squash Pie and it was a disaster! Hopefully when I try your cake I will have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a nice combination of tastes. I am going to make this cake for my birthday next month, for my colleagues in school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake looks awesome! Love the chai flavor. Thank you for hosting this month's event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the theme you chose. I live in Lima (Peru) and autumn is not a season here. I miss autumn. Your bundt is perfect. I love pumpkin. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.