The idea for this cake actually came about from a recipe for a drink I happened to see - lavender lemonade - and of course I wanted to turn it into a cake. I also wanted to use lavender as we have a beautiful lavender farm on Maui called Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm, and thought it would be great to use something local. Unfortunately I looked everywhere on Oahu and even called the farm to ask whom they ship to, and still drew a blank. It was too cost prohibitive to order directly from them. In the end I found culinary lavender at a health food store.
Whilst searching for a recipe I came across a quick and easy recipe that originally started out as cupcakes. It also used a boxed cake mix. I don't know about you, but sometimes I find a boxed mix is a lifesaver. You know those nights when just before bed your child casually mentions that there is a bake sale tomorrow, and you have been signed up to provide cupcakes. My youngest just graduated high school, so I guess those days are behind me unless she decided to do a bake sale at college ;)
I swear I followed the recipe as written, but I have to be honest and say that it did not turn out as well as I would have liked. The flavor was good, with a nice tang from the lemonade concentrate but the lavender was way too faint for my liking. There is such a delicate balance between lavender being a wonderful accent in baking or it coming out tasting like soap, but I definitely think this recipe needs more lavender. The other problem was how dense it was, and I knew I was in trouble when it shrunk after coming out of the pan. Honestly, I wondered if I would wake up to a pancake-shaped cake the following morning. Maybe there was some user error, but I won't know until I try making it again using the same recipe which I intend to do soon as the flavors show such promise and it was so easy to put together.
If you would like to know more about #BundtBakers and see what the other bakers made for the Secret Garden theme please scroll down below the recipe. Thank you to Sue from A Palatable Pastime for hosting this month.
Lavender Lemonade Bundt Cake
(Printer Friendly Recipe)
- 160ml frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 tablespoon dried culinary lavender, finely ground in a spice grinder
- 225g sour cream
- 85g cream cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 85g unsalted butter, softened
- 85g cream cheese, softened
- 30ml frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 250g powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Remove 30 ml lemonade concentrate from can, and reserve for frosting.
- Combine remaining concentrate, cake mix, finely ground lavender, sour cream, cream cheese and eggs in a mixing bowl, beat at low speed with an electric mixer until moistened.
- Beat at high speed 3 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Spoon batter into bundt pan.
- Bake approximately 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Once cool frost as desired.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the lemonade concentrate.
Recipe adapted from Home is Where the Boat Is
For US Measurements please click here
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
- Almond Lavender Bundt by The Queen of Scones
- Carrot Bundt Cake with Chamomile Orange Icing by Patty's Cake
- Chocolate and Mint Cake by Baking Yummies
- Ginger & Lemon Crackle Courgette Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Elderflower and Lemon Bundt by Jane's Adventure in Dinner
- Lavender & Honey Bundt by Living the Gourmet
- Lavender & Lemon Bundt Cake by I Love Bundt Cakes
- Lavender Lemonade Bundt by All That's Left Are The Crumbs
- Lemon and Rosewater Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Balm Bundt Cake by Magnolia Days
- Lemon Zucchini Bundt with Sugared Pansies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mojito Bundt Cakes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Roses & Lemon Bundt Cake by kidsandchic
- Spiced Zucchini Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
- Sweet Chocolate Feel the Beet Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Vanilla Rose Bundt with Edible Flowers by Our Good Life
- Yorkshire Parkin Mini Bundt by Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini, Cheddar and Chive Bundt by Cookaholic Wife