Summer is officially here. The #CreativeCookieExchange has the perfect theme this month for those who do not want to turn on the oven - No Bake Cookies!
My inspiration for the cookie I choose is a treat my mother-in-law used to make. Her recipe was more of snack because it was a log that she cut into round slices, so technically it was not a cookie. A quick search led me to this slice. In the United States it would be known as a bar cookie, but in Australia we call them a slice.
These cookies are super-quick to put together and although I loved the lemon icing, I could imagine other flavors being equally good - coconut, vanilla, and pineapple come to mind. Maybe a cream cheese frosting would be good too. They are pretty sweet so a small piece goes a long way - but as my girls said "they are yums!"
Many thanks to my daughters for helping me by taking the photos of my cookie. I had to laugh when they told me "next time don't leave your homework to the last moment". Love you guys!
Coconut Apricot Slice
- 125g unsalted butter
- 50ml whipping cream
- 200g white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 300g chopped dried apricots
- 250g shortbread biscuits, crushed
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 25g unsalted butter, melted
- 10ml lemon juice
- 350g icing sugar, sifted
- Line a 3cm-deep, 18 x 25cm baking pan with baking paper.
- Place the butter and cream in a saucepan over medium heat, bring to the boil, then remove from heat.Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Cool slightly.
- Stir in apricots, biscuit crumbs and desiccated coconut. Press the mixture into the baking pan and chill in fridge for 1 hour.
- To make the icing, combine the butter, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons warm water in a large bowl. Stir in the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Spread the icing over the slice and chill again until set.
- Slice in the pan and serve.
Recipe by taste.com.au
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). We all post on the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month!
Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking (or this month "no baking"), check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made ~
- Coconut Apricot Slice from All That's Left Are The Crumbs
- Energy Bars from Baking in Pyjamas
- No Bake Almond Joy Bars from 2 Cookin Mamas
- No Bake Apricot Coconut Oatmeal Cookies from A Shaggy Dough Story
- No Bake Cookie Butter S'mores Bites from Live...Bake...Love
- No-Bake Fruit Balls from Magnolia Days
- No Bake Nutella Cookies from flours and frostings
- Slow Cooker Cocoa Peanut Butter Oat Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Sweet and Salty Popcorn Cookies from Karen's Kitchen Stories