July 01, 2014

Fruit and Veggie Quick Bread ~ #TwelveLoaves




The theme for #TwelveLoaves this month is Summer Fun!  I don't know about you but I am definitely ready for some summer fun and can't wait for the long weekend - although honestly my idea of fun may involve catching up on sleep.
For those following along you will remember that my computer died a few weeks ago.  It has not been resurrected as yet and may never be. This has resulted in my having to use my daughters laptop whenever I can.  Thank goodness she is a really good sharer. Not wanting to be left out, this week it was my phone's turn as it has a battery that now has trouble lasting longer than an hour. Sometimes I hate technology.  OK, rant over.  One thing I do love is participating in is #TwelveLoaves.





I really did want to get my hand on some yeast bread this month, but I am still finding time to be in short supply at the moment so quick bread it was.  Summer to me means an abundance of beautiful fresh fruits and vegetables, especially zucchini.  A quick search lead me to In Katrina's Kitchen and her fantastic recipe for this quick bread.  I made a couple of substitutions and some additions, and I did reduce the amount of sugar.

This quick bread is like a banana bread on steroids.  Seriously I think I could have eaten half of the loaf in one sitting, and I can't wait till I try it tomorrow with a little butter spread on it.  This is the sort of recipe that would easily be adapted to whatever you had on hand - apple, pumpkin, zucchini, banana, raisins, dried fruit, nuts, sweet potato, mango, and pear would be amazing.

Special thanks to my daughter Ashleigh for taking and editing my photos for this post.  Love you and thanks for all the help and the use of your computer too!






If you would like to know more about #TwelveLoaves and see what the others made for the Summer Fun theme please scroll down below the recipe.


Fruit and Veggie Quick Bread
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
  • 1½ cups flour
  • 1½ cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups zucchini, grated and drained (1 large zucchini)
  • 1 cup carrot, grated (2 medium carrots)
  • 1/2 cup apple butter or applesauce
  • 1 cup grated apple, skin on (1 medium apple)
  • 1 cup banana, mashed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350℉.
  2. Spray a loaf pan with Baker's Joy.
  3. In the bowl of your mixer combine all of the dry ingredients. 
  4. Add wet ingredients one at a time and mix until well-incorporated.
  5. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for about 60 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Recipe adapted from In Katrina's Kitchen


#TwelveLoaves July: Summer Fun

The month of June was filled with lovely CHERRIES! We have chosen Summer Fun as our theme for July. Let's share flat breads, rolls, buns, grilled breads - whatever sweet or savory version you'd like and whatever you feel reflects summer flavors! Whatever you bake, (yeasted, quick bread, crackers, muffins, braids, flatbreads, etc) have fun and let's have a delicious month of bread for SUMMER FUN! Let's get baking!

If you are looking for inspiration check out all of the amazing recipes below ~



#TwelveLoaves July: Summer Fun If you’d like to add your bread to the collection with the Linky Tool this month, here’s what you need to do!
  1. When you post your Twelve Loaves bread on your blog, make sure that you mention the Twelve Loaves challenge in your blog post; this helps us to get more members as well as share everyone's posts. Please make sure that your bread is inspired by the theme!
  2. Please link your post to the Linky Tool at the bottom of my blog. It must be a bread baked to the Twelve Loaves theme.
  3. Have your Twelve Loaves bread that you baked this July 2014, and posted on your blog by July 31, 2014. 

#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora from Cake Duchess and runs smoothly with the help of our friends. Thank you to Stacy from Food Lust People Love for hosting this month’s event!




8 comments:

  1. Felice you might have problems wit technology (who doesn't these days???) but you are a friggin genius!
    I love the fruti and veg ideas and your choice of ingredients completely nailed it.
    I love the moistness of this bread.
    Great loaf :)
    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these types of bread's. They are so moist, dense, and flavorful. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Banana bread on steroids! Love the option to include apple butter and the inclusion of carrots =) Yummy! P.s. Hope Santa brings you an early computer gift =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bread looks really moist. I am always looking for quick bread recipes. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"m sorry about all of your electronic travails Felice!!! Time to go shopping!!! This bread looks amazing. Love the shot with the crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son would love this and would be surprised to eat so many fruits and vegetables in this tasty treat. I hope your tech issues resolve shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fruit and veggies together in a lovely quick bread...yes! I know, it's hard to get into baking when it's so hot (especially a yeast bread). Thanks for participating in this month's challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you get your computer revived soon! I've been having some major technological issues the last few weeks, too. Such a bummer. But a bread like THIS one would surely make my day. I love zucchini in bread but wouldn't have thought to combine all these yummy fruits and veggies. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.