May 15, 2014

French Toast Bundt Cake with Maple-Bacon Glaze - #BundtBakers




I cannot tell you how excited I was when I found out the theme - this month, the #BundtBakers are baking up breakfast! There are just so many different directions you can take - sweet, savory, a combination of the two which is kind of what I went for.
A favorite breakfast of my girls is French Toast, and I think that it totally works as a bundt. My version of French Toast always includes both cinnamon and nutmeg, and a healthy splash of orange liqueur. To top it off I decided that the sweetness of maple and the smokiness of the bacon would definitely push it over the top.






In all honesty this has become a fast favorite.  Everything just seemed to fall into place, and the flavor combination was amazing.  It would not surprise me at all if this became my family's requested breakfast on special occasions, although it is so easy that it would not be a problem to whip up at any time. It was gone in no time, and I'm craving it again already.  Maybe it is time for breakfast for dinner again soon.





French Toast Bundt Cake with Maple-Bacon Glaze
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
Cake ~
  • ½ cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2½ cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 sticks salted butter, slightly softened
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 teaspoons Grand Marnier or Triple Sec (optional)
  • 1 cup milk
Maple Bacon Glaze ~
  • 1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1-2 tablespoons whole milk
  • 5 strips bacon, cooked & crumbled

Preparation
Cake ~
  1. Preheat oven to 350℉. 
  2. Butter and flour a bundt pan and set aside.
  3. In a small mixing bowl, add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and whisk to combine; set aside.
  4. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk to combine; set aside.
  5. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). 
  6. Add eggs one at a time, making sure to beat well after each addition. 
  7. Add vanilla and Grand Marnier, and mix to combine.
  8. With the mixer on medium low, add the dry ingredients and milk alternately, starting and ending with flour mixture and scraping the bowl as needed. 
  9. Pour about half of the batter in the pan.
  10. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture in an even layer over the batter.
  11. Gently pour the remaining batter into the pan, and with a skewer (or cake tester) gently swirl the batter to distribute the cinnamon mixture through the cake.
  12. Bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
  13. Remove cake from oven and let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then invert the cake onto the rack and let it cool for at least another 30 minutes.
Maple Bacon Glaze ~
  1. In a medium bowl, mix the confectioner’s sugar with maple syrup and vanilla extract until sugar starts dissolving. 
  2. Slowly add milk to thin out the glaze, adding more if necessary.
  3. Carefully spoon the glaze over the cake, and while the glaze is still wet, add the crumbled bacon on top the cake.
Cake inspired by Confessions of a Cookbook Queen and glaze inspired by Shutterbean





So who are the #BundtBakers?





➤ #BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

➤ We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. Many thanks to Kelly from Passion Kneaded who is hosting this month; she has chosen Breakfast as the theme.


We have 15 beautiful breakfast-themed Bundts (both sweet and savory) that would be perfect for your breakfast or brunch table. Take a peek at the what the the other talented bakers have baked this month ~

12 comments:

  1. I can see this cake being a hit with many families. I love the crumbled bacon on top. And that perfect streak of spice in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks phenomenal! You're speaking my language!
    I absolutely LOVE french toast, and the addition of the grand mariner is genius! I did bacon in my cake too, and they actually look really similar, but the flavors sound very different. I'll have to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have out done yourself with this bundt, delicious looking, I love it!! Gorgeous middle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, yum and ever more yum! Felice, this looks utterly scrumptious I wish I could have a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet and savoury! wonderful combination of flavours! I am definitely going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. Just yes. I love the direction you took with this month's theme. French toast is one of my favorite breakfast foods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG does that look good. THAT is what I want to wake up to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I could jump through the screen I would. Note to self: don't go through blog posts while hungry. This looks so good, and maple and bacon together are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's all I got. Seriously. Can I come through the screen for a piece of this?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing way to eat French Toast. All those wonderful flavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. This is just so beautiful! Cannot go wrong with bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.