January 16, 2014

Mocha Hazelnut Marble Bundt - #BundtBakers






This is a kind of good news/bad news kind of post.  First the bad news - unfortunately the Bundtamonth group is no longer together due to the time constraints on the administrators.  We had a great time as a group, and I wanted to send my thanks to Lora and Anuradha for all of the hard work they did for the us.  Now the good news - many of us did not want to let go of our love for bundts, so a new group has been formed called #BundtBakers.

Our first theme together as a group, since we are all nuts for bundts is Nuts!  This is the perfect theme since I think a lot of people would still have leftover nuts - pecans, almonds, walnuts, pistachios - from the holiday season, and are just looking for ways to use them up. So, why not make a bundt or two? The members in this group are sure to inspire you in some way to get baking.


Although I loved the theme, it took me a while to settle on the exact bundt I wanted to make.  I had so many ideas running through my mind, but it was when I was taking inventory in my pantry that I decided that I wanted to use hazelnuts. I just love chocolate and hazelnut together, so I decided to do a marble cake.  A quick search lead me to the cake I wanted to make, but I decided to switch out the glaze that the recipe called for and make a Nutella one instead.






Surprisingly the Nutella was the only change I made to this cake.  The cake baked up nicely, released from the pan with ease (removing a bundt from its pan can be a little nerve-racking at times), and the glaze was perfect.  My family loved this cake, but I found the small piece I tried was a little on the dry side.  I think that the next time I make it I will substitute buttermilk for the milk, since I think it makes most baked good moist and delicious. Other than that this was the perfect afternoon tea treat.

In case you are wondering how I achieved the swirl in my bundt, all I did was use a large ice cream scoop to layer alternate spoonfuls of the chocolate and nut batter into my bundt.  Once all the batter was in the pan I gently swirled a butter knife into it, making sure I reached down to the bottom of the pan. I love that you get a different pattern every time you use this technique.




BundtBakers

Here are a few things we would like to tell you about the group ~

  • #BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here.
  • We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. 
  • If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com or ask to join our private Facebook group.

Here is a list of all of the wonderful nutty bundts my fellow #BundtBakers made this month ~










Mocha Hazelnut Marble Bundt with a Nutella Glaze 
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
Cake ~

  • 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup toasted hazelnuts, finely ground
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 9 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature, divided use
  • 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • ¼ cup coffee (hot or cold)
  • ¼ cup Nutella
  • 1 teaspoon instant coffee, finely ground (or instant espresso powder)
  • 1¾ cups sugar
  • 4 eggs, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup whole milk, room temperature

Glaze ~

  • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • ½ cup Nutella


Preparation
Cake ~

  1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350℉.
  2. In a 12 cup Bundt pan, either spray with nonstick baking spray or butter and dust the inside with flour and tap out the excess.
  3. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, ground hazelnuts, baking powder and salt and set aside.
  4. In a saucepan add 2 oz of the butter, chocolate, coffee and instant coffee. Over a low heat, stir the mixture until the butter and chocolate are melted and everything is smooth and creamy. Add the Nutella and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium bowl to cool.
  5. In the bowl of a stand mixer, with a paddle attachment, beat the remaining 7 oz butter and the sugar at medium speed for about 3 minutes – you’ll have a thick paste; this won’t be light and fluffy.
  6. Beat in the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
  7. Beat in the vanilla extract. 
  8. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients and the milk alternately, adding the dry mixture in 3 portions and the milk in 2 - beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
  9. Scrape a little less than half the batter into the bowl with the melted chocolate and, using a rubber spatula, stir to blend thoroughly.
  10. Depending on how you want your cake to look you can scrape all of the white batter into the pan and top with the chocolate and marble it minimally, or if you want a more marbled pattern, alternate spoonfuls of the light and dark batter in the pan. When all the batter is in the pan, swirl a table knife sparingly through the batter to marble them.
  11. Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a thin knife inserted deep into the center of the cake comes out clean.
  12. Transfer the Bundt pan to a rack and let cool for 10 minutes before unmolding, then cool the cake completely on the rack.

Glaze ~

  1. Add Nutella, milk, and powdered sugar to a small saucepan and place over low heat.
  2. Stir mixture until it is warm and smooth.
  3. Pour over cooled cake.


Recipe for cake from Joy the Baker.  Recipe for glaze from Five Heart Home.



17 comments:

  1. Oooh! Love that swirl in the middle, Felice! I can never seem to achieve a good swirl. Is there some secret to pouring in the batter that you can share? That is one seriously beautiful cake.

    I am so glad we all decided to keep baking Bundts together!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we are baking together too. I went back and edited the post to include how I got the swirl in my cake - it was really easy, and I love how each cake you make using this technique is one of a kind.

      Delete
  2. Great choice of pan for that cake. The pattern of the pan highlights the marbling and just works splendidly. I have that pan also and love it. I also love Nutella so you have me sold on this cake at the mere mention of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pan, love the marble, love the Nutella, love EVERYTHING about this cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy - I can't tell you how excited I was to find this bundt pan in the clearance section at T.J.Maxx for only $7.00.

      Delete
  4. Oh My! This looks ahhhmazingly good. I really must invest in a bundt cake pan. This looks too good not to try plus I'm a HUGE nutella lover. Lovely blog,so glad I found you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. Once you buy one bundt pan, you will then want to start a collection - at least that is what happened to me :)

      Delete
  5. The cake looks so good! I just love marble cakes and to bake them in a form of a bundt is such a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the combination of chocolate and hazelnuts! I'm always holding my breath when it's time to remove a cake from a Bundt pan. When I see the pans with intricate designs, I'm always shocked that the cake came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be guilty of over-spraying my pans because I really want it out in one piece, but even if it doesn't there is always some way to salvage a bundt.

      Delete
  7. LOVE this cake Felice....everything about it. I love the fabulous pattern you've created, the shape of the pan, and I just adore chocolate and hazelnuts together! I would LOVE to have afternoon tea at your house! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made a good cake in ages... but this one with the hazelnut AND nutella has sure caught my attention. Thought I'm afraid I would eat nearly the whole thing before the kids got home from school. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummmmm! I'm always up for new ways to enjoy Nutella. This is a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is seriously gorgeous. You have mastered the swirl--I am going to try the ice cream scoop idea and see if it helps my swirl impaired self! I also love the choice of hazelnuts and chocolate. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When to add the 1/4 cup of Nutella?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.